You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213522  

Print Page



© Mr John Riley

IoE Number: 213522
Location: MORLEY'S HALL, MORLEY'S LANE (south side)
  TYLDESLEY, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr John Riley
Date Photographed: 22 October 2006
Date listed: 18 July 1966
Date of last amendment: 18 July 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TYLDESLEYMORLEY'S LANESJ 69 NE(south side)6/53Morley's Hall18/7/66

TYLDESLEY MORLEY'S LANE SJ 69 NE (south side) 6/53 Morley's Hall 18/7/66 II* 2 houses. Largely C19 but incorporating some C16 and C17 timber-framing. Brick with slate and graduated stone slate roof. U-shaped range of various builds and dates. The front is of 4 bays with wings projecting to either side. Generally the left hand house is later; it uses Flemish bond brick and includes a symmetrically-fronted house with central door with fanlight and impost capitals, two 3-light transomed casement windows with flat brick arches and stone sills on each floor, and gable chimney stacks. The bay to its left includes an unusually wide cambered brick arch over a window. The right-hand house includes the earlier work. Generally it has a lower and steeper roof and is in English garden wall bond brick. Earlier stone walling at rear and in gable of wing. A door at the angle is flanked to left by a 3-light window (as above) with a cambered brick arch on each floor. Similar door and windows to wing. The rear, part of which is pebble-dashed, has various casement windows. Ridge chimney stacks. Interior: much of the timber- framing and floor beams with double-stepped stops remain. Posts in bay 4 rise to carry 2 heavily moulded-cambered tie-beam roof trusses one of which has a carved rosette on the underside. Both formerly had arch braces and formed a feature of a former open hall. The braces were removed when a floor was inserted. Moated site, formerly the home of the Tyldesleys, later a meeting place for recusants and in 1641 the home of Ambrose Barlow. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907. N.G. Philip, Views of Old Halls in Lancashire and Cheshire, 1893.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.