You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213588  

Print Page



© Mr John Riley

IoE Number: 213588
Location: BISPHAM HALL, CRANK ROAD (west side)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr John Riley
Date Photographed: 30 May 2004
Date listed: 23 August 1966
Date of last amendment: 23 August 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEYCRANK ROADSD 50 SW(west side)8/31Bispham Hall23.8.66

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEY CRANK ROAD SD 50 SW (west side) 8/31 Bispham Hall 23.8.66 - II* Large house. 1573 with later extensions. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, roof now gone (1986). 3 storeys, 5 gabled bays, the 2nd and 4th bays project, the 1st and 5th bays project further and are wider. Base, quoins and some remaining coping. Most windows have double-chamfered mullions, probably restorations, and label moulds; most windows of 5 lights with transom. Ground floor has blocked window to 2nd bay, inner returns of 1st, 2nd and 5th bays have 4-light ovolo-mullioned blind windows with painted glazing. 1st floor has 4-light window to 4th bay and ovolo- mullioned blind windows to inner returns of 1st, 2nd and 5th bays. 2nd floor windows have no transoms, apart from 4-light window to 4th bay. Round-headed entrance has impost blocks, now blocked, arms under label mould above. Gable to 5th bay has round feature in coping. Left return has projecting gabled bay with canted projecting centre originally with hipped roof and rainwater head dated 1727. Continuous label moulds to windows, those to ground floor with double- chamfered mullions of 2 lights with transom those to 1st floor similar, with ovolo mullions, 2nd floor windows are ovolo-mullioned but have no transoms. Projecting lateral stack to right. Right return has projecting lateral stack with blocked fire windows and later lean-to shed with crow- stepped gable to front. Projecting gabled bay has ovolo- mullioned windows, as has extension to right. Rear has later extensions and a truncated stack, some mullioned windows and round-headed opening. Interior not inspected, upper storeys destroyed by fire; Tudor-headed doorway visible on 2nd floor; said to have large fireplaces, staircase with turned balusters has probably not survived. Although extensively damaged, the hall remains one of the most complete survivals from the C16 in the historic county of Lancashire.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.