You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213670  

Print Page



© Mr Ronald May

IoE Number: 213670
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, ALMONDS GREEN (east side)
  LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: Mr Ronald May
Date Photographed: 28 April 2007
Date listed: 12 July 1966
Date of last amendment: 12 July 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 3993ALMONDS GREEN(east side)L1217/78 Church of Saint

SJ 3993 ALMONDS GREEN (east side) L12 17/78 Church of Saint 12.7.66 Mary G.V. II* Church. 1853-56. Sir George Gilbert Scott.Stone with slate roofs. 5-bay nave with aisles under lean-to roofs and north and south porches. Transepts and crossing tower. 3-bay chancel and north and south chapels; vestry on south side. Geometrical style. West entrance of 2 orders with window above of 4 lights, aisle west windows of 2 lights. Aisles have cornice and parapet, windows of 3 lights and stone rainwater heads in the form of beasts; offset buttresses. Clerestory has 2-light windows. Porch, entrance of 2 orders, sides have quatrefoil and trefoil openings (north porch blocked, 1984). North transept has 4-light north window, spherical triangle windows to east and west; canted stair turret with pinnacle to west. Tower of 2 stages has octagonal angle turrets with crocketed pinnacles. Lower stage has 5-bay blind arcade with cusped arches with frieze of quatrefoils and embattled parapet over. Upper stage has paired 2-light bell openings with canopied niche above, Lombard frieze and pierced parapet. Chancel has apsidal end, 2-light windows and Lombard frieze. Chapels have 3- light east window and 2-light side windows. North Chapel windows blocked (1984). Vestry has windows of 2 and 3 cusped lights an parpapet. South transept 3 2-light windows with chamfered buttresses below and rose above. Interior has arcades with round columns, wall shafts and scissor braced roofs. Crossing with clustered shafts and triforium with 2-light traceried openings;flat ceiling over. Chancel has 2-bay arcade on quatrefoil piers to south chapel, organ loft to north. Octagonal font has traceried canopy. Pulpit, choir stalls, chancel panelling and screen and reredos at south chapel by J. O. Scott, 1906. Stained glass mostly by Hardman. Of particular note is the fine carving of the arcade capitals. One of Sir Gilbert Scott's better works.with a particularly good interior. (Sundial from previous church set on south wall and dated 1793.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.