You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213846  

Print Page



© Mr Brendan Oxlade LRPS

IoE Number: 213846
Location: ALDELPHI BANK, 38 CASTLE STREET (west side)
  LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: Mr Brendan Oxlade LRPS
Date Photographed: 03 June 2001
Date listed: 14 March 1975
Date of last amendment: 19 June 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 39 SWCASTLE STREET(west side)L252/226No 38

SJ 39 SW CASTLE STREET (west side) L2 52/226 No 38 (Co-operative 14.3.75 Bank) (formerly listed as Barclays Bank) G.V. II* Bank building, originally the Adelphi Bank. 1892. by Caroe. Red and yellow sandstone on polished red granite base. 4 storeys and attic, 2 bays to Castle Street, corner turret and 4 bays to Brunswick Street. Chamfered angle has round- arched entrance with bronze doors of reliefs by Stirling Lee, with barley sugar columns. The reliefs show pairs of Famous Friends, David and Jonathan, Achilles and Patroclus, Castor and Pollux, Roland and Oliver. 2 round-arched windows to Castle Street, 4 windows and another doorway to Brunswick Street, with pilasters and pediment. Corner has 3-sided turret rising to green copper onion dome. Cross windows divided by attached fluted columns (those on 2nd floor by statues in niches). Steep roof with dormers capped by swept copper roofs with button finials, end bay to Brunswick Street has shaped gable with obelisk finial and there are 2 scrolled and moulded stacks. Interior with plaster panels in relief, and staircase with coffered ceiling. One of the most idiosyncratic commercial buildings in the city, which makes excellent use of decorative details.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.