You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 214035  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 214035
Location: 159-163 DUKE STREET
  LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 29 March 1982
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1982
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 3589 NWDUKE STREETL156/397Nos. 159-163 (odd)

SJ 3589 NW DUKE STREET L1 56/397 Nos. 159-163 (odd) 29.3.82 G.V. II* 1765. Three houses, part of an interrupted terrace with Nos. 169-175 Duke Street. Brick. Slate roofs. Three storeys with basements and attics. Each house pedimented with stone cornice. No. 159. Two bays, but destroyed ground floor probably had three. Windows with sills and wedge lintels with keystones. Sashed with all glazing bars. Small Venetian window in pediment, side lights bricked up. Return facade to Colquitt Street of three bays with one added later to left hand side. Two small chimneys. Central round-headed recesses on each floor; those on upper floors, except right hand bay, enclose small wooden framed Venetian windows, all with modern glazing. The added bay has blank window to ground floor, double sash with all glazing bars first floor, and modern glazing to a similar opening on second floor. Interior: Venetian window in staircase with colonnettes on mullions. No. 161. Differs only slightly from the preceding, having three windows on the second floor. Ground floor with two windows, sashed without glazing bars. To left hand side stone doorcase of rusticated Doric pilasters, entablature and pediment. Modern door. Basement has two boarded-up openings with lintel band. Six stone steps to door with iron railing to right hand side. Interior. Elliptical arch between hallway and staircase, with keystone, partly blocked. Staircase with open string, columnar newel and some turned balusters. No. 163. Similar to No. 159, of three bays to ground floor and two above, separated by a moulded first floor sill band. Ground floor plastered, with modern glazing. Six panel door to right hand side between flanking pilasters, the remains of a doorcase. Five stone steps to door and C19 railings. One ridge chimney. Interior. Hallway with timber Ionic cornice. Round arch through to staircase, with fluted Doric pilasters. Four- flight open-string stair and top landing with ramped moulded handrail, brackets and columnar newels, retaining most of its turned balusters. Other features include a small C18 wooden chimneypiece and a Venetian window at rear. Shown on a plan by Eyes of 1765 when very new, these houses are now the oldest in central Liverpool.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.