© Mr John Taylor
EVERTON PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, HEYWORTH STREET
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Mr John Taylor
30 June 2001
12 July 1966
Date of last amendment:
19 June 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 3592 HEYWORTH STREET
19/592 Church of
as Everton Parish
12.7.66 St. George).
Church. 1812-14. Thomas Rickman with John Cragg. Ashlar,
in Perpendicular style. West tower, nave and short chancel.
Flanking low porches to tower and chancel. Tower has
diagonal buttresses; single pointed arched door, 3-light
window above. 3-faced clock and 3-light bell openings part
glazed and part louvred. All windows have cast iron
tracery. Open traceried battlemented parapet with pinnacles
at angles. Flanking porches have 2-light window; entrances
to north and south have carved spandrels and label moulds.
Nave of 7 bays with buttresses and tall 3-light windows.
Shallow chancel with 6-light window. Low battlemented side
bays; S entrance. Interior: Nave has arcades of cast iron
with traceried spandrels. Aisles have galleries with
traceried panelled fronts. Cast iron traceried roof on iron
columns and arch braces to nave and galleries. Tie rods
across width of church. C19 stained glass to E window and W
end of balconies, by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster. The
cast iron structure is an important early example, the
result of the encouragement of John Cragg, owner of the
Mersey Iron Foundry.