© Mr Brendan Oxlade LRPS
INCE BLUNDELL HALL, PARK WALL ROAD (south west side)
INCE BLUNDELL, SEFTON, MERSEYSIDE
Mr Brendan Oxlade LRPS
03 September 1999
11 October 1968
Date of last amendment:
11 October 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
INCE BLUNDELL PARK WALL ROAD
SD 30 SW
6/67 Ince Blundell Hall
House, now convalescent home. 1720-50 with C19 additions.
Brick with stone dressings. L-plan, 3-storey, 9-bay main
range faces south east; 2-storey, 10-bay service wing to
rear, connected by one-storey block. Main range has 3-bay
centre breaking forward. Stone 1st floor sill band, and
entablature; top cornice and panelled parapet with
balustrade to centre; quoins. Paired giant Corinthian flat
pilasters flank centre; central bay flanked by Corinthian
columns; flat pilasters to ends. Windows have architraves
and C19 plate glass sashes. Ground floor windows have
friezes and consoled pediments; those to centre are
segmental-headed with large keys; central entrance similar,
with Blundell arms to key. 1st floor windows have panelled
aprons. Several tall stacks with C19 caps. 5-bay one-
storey mid C19 wing to right. 3-bay canted centre. Quoins
and panelled parapet. Windows as above. Rear altered mid
C19. Service wing south-west facade has 7 bays of 2
storeys, 3-bay centre breaks forward under pediment; 3
storey, 3-bay pavilion to right. Modillioned cornice.
Windows have wedge lintels and are sashed with glazing bars.
Entrance to centre has porch with Diocletian window over;
clock in gable and cupola on Tuscan columns over pediment.
Pavilion has central round-headed recess with tripartite and
Diocletian windows. Top Diocletian windows flanked by oculi.
Several tallstacks. Interior. Main range has rooms
decorated c.1840 s by Crace, painted arabesques. Drawing
room has mid C18 rococo plaster ceiling. Central room has
fielded panelling. Fireplaces removed. Dining room
decorated to display tapestries (removed). Oak bedroom has
panelling said to come from Old Hall (q.v.). Pantheon
(q.v.) adjoins to angle of building. Chapel (q.v.) adjoins
end of service wing.