© Mr Kenneth D'Maurney-Gibbons
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE GREEN
BEACHAMWELL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
Mr Kenneth D'Maurney-Gibbons
08 August 2006
23 June 1960
Date of last amendment:
23 June 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TF 70 NE BEACHAMWELL THE GREEN
7/4 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint, mainly rendered with ashlar and
some brick dressings. Thatch and lead roofs. West tower; nave with north
porch and south aisle; chancel on same alignment as nave. Late C11 circular
western tower with an off-set at first floor level. 2-light Perpendicular
west window at ground floor level. Loops to west and south at first floor
level and a clock face to north. 4 rustic former twin bell openings; to south
and east they have arched heads and limestone slabs applied to outward faces
of central flint piers; to west and north they have triangular heads and mid-
wall shafts with through stone slabs; the shaft to north is of square or
rectangular section whilst the western one is a bulbous baluster shaft with
a rough capital and base and exaggerated astragals. Late Medieval octagonal
bell stage with 4 2-light traceried bell openings alternating with blind
openings in flushwork. The openings have been partially blocked with brick-
work forming geometric patterns. Pitched roof with lead covered central mast.
North west angle of nave with surviving long and short quoins. One 2-light
Flat-headed traceried window to north side of nave. Late Medieval north porch
with 2-light side windows, an arched entrance and a later stepped gable.
C15 roll-moulded and embattled wall plates inside. C14 double-ogee and wave
moulded north doorway. C15 south aisle with moulded doorway and 2 2-light
traceried windows with transoms. Eastern extensionof aisle dated 1832 with
2 3-light traceried windows with transoms to south and east of Medieval date
re-used. Chancel with a modern 3-light east window and a 2-light uncusped
window to north. Interior. Tower appears to be an addition to pre-existing
nave. Semicircular headed tower arch (former west door) with roughly tooled
voussoirs exposed. Off-centre upper doorway. No chancel arch. 4-bay arcade
of which the 2 western bays are C14 with quatrefoil pier and responds.
Filletted shafts with intermediate rolls and polygonal capitals/bases. Arches
of 2 orders with a double ogee moulding. 2 eastern bays plastered and,
according to the inscription, were built in 1832 by John Motteux when the
aisle was extended. Piscina to centre of south wall with cusped head. Cast
iron altar table cum strong box of 1835 designed by John Motteux consisting
of intricate grills reminiscent of Arabic fretwork supported on 6 octagonal
shafts. Opening side grills and an oak top bordered with brass. C17
polygonal pulpit set into blocked C15 priest 19 door with cusped spandrels.
Pulpit with carved frieze and bracketted lectern. Choir stalls with a re-
used C17 lectern. Medieval graffiti on western arcade respond. Pair of wall
tablets in chancel to John Motteux (died 1793) and John Motteux (died 1843)
set beneath crocketted ogee arches with carved head stops and fleurons.