© Mr Peter Sargeant
CHURCH OF ST MARY, WARHAM ROAD (north side)
BINHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Mr Peter Sargeant
03 July 2002
06 March 1959
Date of last amendment:
06 March 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BINHAM WARHAM ROAD
TF 9839 (north side)
20/22 Church of St Mary
Parish Church of St Mary. C12 Romanesque church with facade in two distinct
C13 styles of plate and bar tracery. Flint with stone dressing, lead roof.
Seven bays of nave of church of Benedictine Priory founded 1091 as a dependency
of St Albans, retained in use as parish church with 2 further nave bays, crossing
and East end now ruined. West front side to be of before 1244. Ground floor and
aisles with plate tracery, but nave window an example of bar tracery style of
Westminster Abbey. Tripartite nave and aisles facade, demolished behind the latter.
Large central four light window now bricked in, with bar tracery octofoil and
sexfoils. C16 bellcote. Nave of seven bays with the distinct Romanesque,
Transitional and EE phases traceable in internal elevations at arcade, gallery and
clerestory levels. Present east wall is built up on the monastic puplitum
dividing the two parts of the church. Simple hammerbeam arch-braced roof. C15
seven Sacrament font on stepped base. Dado only of C15 screen, figures of saints
visible through later stencilling. 2 stalls with misericorde, Open work tracery
backs to poppyhead benches. Arched, coved sedilia.