You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 223421  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 223421
Location: STIFFKEY OLD HALL, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  STIFFKEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 30 November 1951
Date of last amendment: 20 May 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SCHEDULE In the entry for: STIFFKEY CHURCH STREET TF 9742 (south side) 15/124 Stiffkey Old Hall (formerly listed as Old Hall) 30.11.51 II* G.V. The description shall be amended to read: House. Date 1576 onwards. Additions and alterations of C17, C18, restored C20. Walls flint, brick and stone dressings, red pantiled and plain tiled roofs. Fragment of a 'U' plan house intended to be symmetrical about the courtyard.Two storeys, attics. Built for Sir Nathaniel Bacon, with financial help from his father, Sir Nicholas. The W or kitchen range and half of the N or Hall range survive; the Hall is ruinous and the E range demolished. Distinctive round towers at NE (ruined), NW and SW angles, divided into storeys by string courses with 2-light casement windows, parapets to N perhaps defensive. N (hall) range N side: with mullioned and transomed windows, some C20. W range W front: random fenestration, mostly C18 leaded casement windows of 3 lights to first floor. Classical entrance surround c1911. Gable of hall range is expressed at NW mullioned and transomed attic window, flanking stacks and central finial. Kitchen chimney breast expressed externally, 2 stacks on eaves. At S rectangular stairs-tower with 2-light case- ment windows arranged as risers. Courtyard: N Hall range: mullioned and transomed windows. Hall screens passage with 4 centred arched doorway and C16 door marks entrance to roofless hall. Stairs tower to NE angle, NW ruinous. Courtyard W range: ground floor mullioned and transomed window, C18 casements above. Four centred doorcase arch. W range south gable: divided into 3 storeys, mullioned and transomed window to each; coped brick parapet, bracket kneelers; central stone finial; round tower at W. Interior rebuilt 1791; 1911 by Harry Redfern, 1978 by Bernard Feilden. W range has some 4 centred fireplaces, internal timber framed partitions on first floor for service corridor; plaster barrel vaulted attic chamber. Rectangular W stairs tower has newel running from floor to roof height, but stairs not built here. N range: barrel vaulted attic, plaster stripped to expose timbers. Deep 11" x 4" joists. Early example of country house with rooms served by passages. Country Life, 19 February 1916, p. 240 ------------------------------------ STIFFKEY CHURCH STREET TF 9742 (south side) 15/124 Stiffkey Old Hall (formerly listed as Old Hall) 30.11.51 II* G.V. House. Date 1576. Walls flint, brick and stone dressings, red pantiles. Fragment of a 'U' plan house intended to be symmetrical about the courtyard. Two storeys, attics. Built for Sir Nicholas Bacon, who closely supervised the construction, halted by his death. The W or kitchen range and half of the N or Hall range survive; the Hall is ruinous and the E range demolished. Distinctive round towers at NE (ruined), NW and SW angles, divided into storeys by string courses with 2-light casement windows, parapets to N perhaps defensive. N (hall) range N side: with mullioned and transomed windows, some C20. W range W front: random fenestration, mostly C18 leaded casement windows of 3 lights to first floor. Classical entrance surround c1911. Gable of hall range is expressed at NW mullioned and transomed attic window, flanking stacks and central finial. Kitchen chimney breast expressed externally, 2 stacks on eaves. At S rectangular stairs-tower with 2-light casement windows arranged as risers. Courtyard: N Hall range: mullioned and transomed windows. Hall screens passage with 4 centred arched doorway and C16 door marks entrance to roofless hall. Stairs tower to NE angle, NW ruinous. Courtyard W range: ground floor mullioned and transomed wiwow, C18 casements above. Four centred doorcase arch. W range south gable: divided into 3 storeys, muliioned and tranosomed window to each; coped brick parapet, bracket kneelers; central stone finial; round tower at W. Interior rebuilt 1791; 1911 by Harry Redfern, 1978 by Bernard Feiden. W range has some 4 centred fireplaces, internal timber framed partitions on first floor for service corridor; plaster barrel vaulted attic chamber. Rectangular W stairs tower has newel running from floor to roof height, but stairs not built here. N range: barrel vaulted attic, plaster stripped to expose timbers.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.