© Mr Derek E. Wharton
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
HONING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Mr Derek E. Wharton
26 March 2002
16 April 1955
Date of last amendment:
16 April 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TG 32 NW
6/65 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Substantially early C14, restored C19. Flint (partly knapped)
with ashlar dressings. Nave roof of black glazed pantiles, chancel of thatch.
West tower, nave and chancel. 2 stage tower, the top stage removed 1910.
Diagonal western buttresses. Pointed lancet west window. Small rectangular
ringing chamber windows. Stairs at north-west corner. Triangular-headed
window on east face below old roof line. Low pyramid roof to tower, tiled,
of 1910. Square south porch with diagonal buttresses. Chamfered entrance
arch on semi-circular responds with crenellated capitals and polygonal bases.
This arch of rendered brick. Over arch a niche left and right. Plain parapet
with roll moulded top. One arched lancet left of porch. 2 restored Y tracery
windows to right separated by stepped buttress, repeated in north nave wall.
Brick eaves cornice to nave. Eastern nave gable head on carved heads. South
chancel wall pierced by 2 2-light trefoiled square-headed windows, between
which are arched priests' door and wall monument to John Watts 1709 : square
base below coved set-back inscription panel with architrave standing on
scrolled bases. Brick dentiled chancel eaves. Diagonal east buttresses flank
3-light C14 elongated reticulated east window. One 2-light Y traceried north
chancel window. North nave door with roll and chamfer mouldings. Interior.
Double chamfered tower doorway. Double chamfered chancel arch with polygonal
reponds and capitals. C19 scissor braced nave roof and similar chancel roof,
but of heavier timbers. C13 octagonal font. Central Purbeck marble column
and bowl with 8 subsidiary stone columns. Facets of bowl with 2 incised
arches. Excellent late C14 wall paintings on north nave wall. To left of
north doorway Annunication to The Virgin, to right of door St. Christopher.
To east between nave windows the Scenes of the Passion, some no longer
decipherable. These extend into jamb of eastern nave window. C15 chancel
screen of 3 bays right and left of cusped ogeed central opening. Ogeed lights
above dado mainly of C19. Dado with quatrefoils in base of each panel and
cusped and sub-cusped arches at top in the spandrels of which are carvings
of winged angels, animals, sacred heart and other subjects.