© Mr Peter Clark LRPS
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HALL ROAD (south side)
CATFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Mr Peter Clark LRPS
06 March 2001
16 April 1955
Date of last amendment:
16 April 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CATFIELD HALL ROAD
TG 32 SE
3/33 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14 west tower. Late C14 nave and aisles. C15 chancel,
reputedly built by John Walter, rector, 1460-71. Numerous C19 restoration
campaigns. Tower restored 1973. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
3 stage tower with diagonal western buttresses. 2-light west window. Lancets
to ringing chamber. Set-off to belfry stage. 2-light Y tracery belfry
windows below crenellated parapet. Aisles supported by diagonal corner
buttresses and stepped side buttresses. West windows are of 3 lights above
string course : lights cusped and ogeed supporting 4 lobed petal motif set
vertically, also cusped. This design is of the Norwich-Ely group, derived
originally from Lincolnshire and popular 1340-1350. East aisle windows also
of 3 cusped ogee lights with sub-arches and rising supermullions containing
2 tracery panels. This design popular 1380-1420. Aisle side windows
alternate between these types demonstrating the degree of Decorated and
Perpendicular overlap. String course continuous below windows. 2 storey
gabled south porch supported by diagonal buttresses, the second storey a later
addition. Stilted entrance arch below restored statuary niche. 2-light
ogeed side windows under square hood. Parvis lit by square-headed windows.
Crenellated east and west parapets of brick. Inner south door double wave
moulded with wave moulded hood on head stops. Fleuron decoration in
voussoirs. No clerestory but nave walls of knapped flint in this position.
2 3-light Perpendicular south chancel windows of same design as aisles.
Stepped side buttresses and diagonal east buttresses. Priests' door. One
similar north window, the other blocked. 3-light C19 east window with timber
tracery. Arched north nave doorway under square hood, the spandrels with
tracery. Interior 5 bay octagonal arcade on C14 moulded polygonal bases.
Moulded polygonal capitals with fleuron studs. Double hollow chamfered
arches. Scissor braced nave roof of 1864. Chamfered tower arch with
polygonal responds, bases and capitals. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch,
also with polygonal responds, bases and capitals. Pitched aisle roofs of
1913 re-using C14 principals (hollow chamfered) and arched braces. Aisle
windows have wave moulded rere arches. C15 octagonal font with tracery
patterns against stem and fleurons and punched quatrefoils to bowl below
crenellations. Tower screen dated 1605 in form of door with arcaded panels
flanked by C19 pine panelling. Brick staircase to parvis over porch in south
aisle leads through high 4-centred doorway. Upper parvis door C15, with roll
moulded surround. Porch roof pitched with multiply roll moulded ridge piece
and principals. C15 chancel screen of 2 double bays left and right of 4-
centred opening. Perpendicular tracery heads revolve round large ogees.
Dado with 2 light tracery divisions painted with figures of 15 canonised
Kings and one Queen. Chancel with 3 giant wall arches. Roof of 1879 :
principals, buttpurlins and fleuron bosses.