You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 224398  

Print Page



© Mr Derek E. Wharton

IoE Number: 224398
Location: LUDHAM HALL INCLUDING ATTACHED CHAPEL, HALL ROAD
  LUDHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Photographer: Mr Derek E. Wharton
Date Photographed: 28 March 2002
Date listed: 16 April 1955
Date of last amendment: 16 April 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LUDHAMHALL ROADTG 31 NE8/67Ludham Hall including16.4.55attached chapel

LUDHAM HALL ROAD TG 31 NE 8/67 Ludham Hall including 16.4.55 attached chapel G.V. II* House with chapel, the latter used as a barn. Site of Palace of Bishops of Norwich, burnt down 1611, rebuilt by Bishop Harsnett, chapel added 1627. House of flint with ashlar quoins and some brick, refaced late C18 in brick. Plain tile roof. Chapel of brick with pantile roof. House. East facade of 2 storeys in 6 bays upon flint plinth. Bays rebated with pilaster strips. Central 2 bays beneath pediment on plain parapet. Door left of centre in round arch and blind arch with a segmental tripartite sash to its right. One further sash to left and right and end bays with tripartite sashes. 6 sashes to first floor. All windows with glazing bars and gauged arches; skewback or segmental depending on type. Gabled roof with 2 ridge stacks and internal end stacks to south. Gables and rear of flint and C17. South gable bears roof line of demolished gabled building. 3 blocked attic windows and a C20 half glazed door. To south-west 2 storey late C20 extension of no interest. West front of 2 storeys and 3 wide bays pierced with sashes, all with glazing bars and gauged skewback arches. Evidence of blocked windows. North gable head retains its kneelers. Blocked windows each floor except attic which has renewed 3-light cross casement. Chapel built against north- east corner of house at right angles with a C18 crenellated linking parapet between them. West tower, nave and continuous chancel. 3 stage square tower on flint plinth. Blocked 4-centred west window below square hood. Similar, but 2-centred, second stage window. Arched belfry window with honeycomb brick infil. Plain parapet above string course. Gabled nave supported on diagonal corner buttresses and stepped side buttresses. 4 bays to north and south. Entrance on south in west bay. 4-centred ashlar doorway below square hood on labels. Jambs decorated with incised geometric motifs. Above is recessed date plaque : S. M. 1627. Central 2 bays with blocked round arched windows. Ashlar jambs with hollow chamfer and chamfer mouldings. East bay blank except for illegible ashlar plaque. East end C20 : full height timber doors and rebuilt brickwork. Buttresses survive. North side also 4 bays, lateral ones blank. Centre bays with one blocked window as before and full height timber carriage doors in other bay. Roof structure altered and now hipped at east end. Interior. Partly floored. Roof of tie beams, 2 tiers taper-tenoned butt purlins and collars. Against west wall a forge with arched flue.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.