You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 224434  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Clark LRPS

IoE Number: 224434
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD (east side)
  POTTER HEIGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Photographer: Mr Peter Clark LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 March 2001
Date listed: 16 April 1955
Date of last amendment: 16 April 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

POTTER HEIGHAMCHURCH ROADTG 41 NW(east side)9/103Church of St. Nicholas16.4.55

POTTER HEIGHAM CHURCH ROAD TG 41 NW (east side) 9/103 Church of St. Nicholas 16.4.55 G.V. I Parish church. C12 west tower and chancel, the former with belfry stage added C15, the latter remodelled C15. C13 nave and aisles, remodelled in major building works around 1500 (bequests date from 1479 to 1535, when a new aisle built, 1506 church leaded). Restored 1802, 1875, 1895 (windows, roof and porch) and 1951 (south aisle roof). Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Nave and chancel thatched, south aisle leaded, north aisle felted. 2 stage tower, the lower stage circular. C19 2-light Y tracery west window. Corbel table with grotesque heads below C15 octagonal belfry stage enriched with flushwork. 2-light cusped windows to alternate faces, flushwork tracery to the remainder. Crenellated flushwork parapet with short pinnacles above corbel table. Aisle west windows are single lancets with hood moulds. 2 storey gabled south porch supported on diagonal buttresses. Double chamfered - entrance arch below centrally placed brick statuary niche containing medieval carving of Wild Man. This flanked by one brick lancet each side. 2-light. C15 ogee side windows. Aisles with diagonal corner buttresses and one stepped side buttress each side. 3 C19 Perpendicular square-headed 3-light aisle windows. 6 restored late C15 3-light clerestory windows with continuous hoods. Wave moulded north aisle doorway. 2 2-light late C15 chancel south windows. Between them an arched priests' door. Chancel unbuttressed. One 2-light Y tracery chancel north window. 3-light cusped intersecting early C14 east window. Interior. 4 bay octagonal arcade on moulded bases. Moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds with polygonal capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds with capitals. Late C15 or early. C16 hammerbeams nave roof, the hammerbeam dropping on arched braces to polygonal wall posts with bases and capitals. These rest on angel corbels bearing shields, crowns and scrolls. Arched braces to principals, the spandrels pierced. 2 tiers butt purlins and ridge piece with bosses. All timbers moulded and the hammerbeams crenellated. Aisle roofs of similar date. Arched braces rise from wall posts to purlins and principals, all moulded. Octagonal Cl5 brick font, very rare (Francis Bond identifies 4 examples : Fonts and Font covers, Oxford, 1908). Octagonal flint plinth, each alternate facet with step. On remaining facets shields in rectangular panels. Panelled stem to font with moulded brick buttress strips. Bowl in panels, each with 2 trefoiled heads. 12 C15 poppyhead bench ends. Late C14 monochrome wall paintings in south aisle depicting the 7 works of mercy. Damaged late C14 wall paintings in north aisle : St. Christopher, St. Anthony, frieze representing Joseph and Mary, Annunciation, Adoration of-Wise Men, Herod and St. Nicholas. Chancel screen 1501 of 2 bays right and left of arched opening. Simple tracery heads. Dado subdidived into 2 bays with tracery and paintings. From left to right : St. Mark, St. Augustine, St. John, St. Gregory, St. Jerome, St. Eligius, St. Luke, St. Ambrose. Above screen is original rood beam upon which is timber Crucifixion of 1909. Fragments of wall painting survive behind. 4 C15 poppyhead bench ends in chancel. C19 scissor braced chancel roof. C17 altar rail with turned balusters and ball finials. Alabaster wall monument on chancel south wall to various members of Myhill family 1660-1709. Square inscription panel with drapery folds at top and leaf scroll borders. Above is swan-necked broken pediment containing urn. Semi-circular apron with relief skulls against which is set a coat of arms. Parvis stairs in south-west corner of nave aisle of brick. Parvis roof of principals and ridge piece.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.