© Mr E.M Trendell ARPS
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD
BRACON ASH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Mr E.M Trendell ARPS
30 June 2001
26 November 1959
Date of last amendment:
26 November 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TG 10 SE BRACON ASH CHURCH ROAD,HETHEL
2/1 Church of All Saints
Hethel parish church, Medieval and later. Flint, rendered except for tower,
with ashlar dressings. Brick north chapel. Slate nave roof, eastern roof
not visible. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch and chancel
with former mausoleum. Cll west tower possibly pre-Conquest. Vestigial
long and short western quoins at low level, otherwise rubble quoining.
Blocked western door with re-used non-radial brick voussoirs. Post-Medieval
bell stage with wooden Y-traceried openings, crow-stepped parapets and
obelisk finials. Victorian traceried chancel windows in Decorated style.
Nave and aisle windows with wooden frames beneath segmental arches. Former
brick mausoleum to Branthwaite family of c.1730 with rusticated quoins,
2 blocked semi-circular headed windows to north, a large Victorian eastern
archway with wooden tracery, a dentil and moulded brick cornice and a
tall parapet with blocked 3-centred openings. C15 porch with a fine moulded
entrance and a later crow-stepped gable. 3-bay C14 or C15 north arcade
with octagonal piers and 2-ordered plain-chamfered arches. Tower arch in
similar style. Former mausoleum with 2 blank Classical tablets opened-up
to north aisle and chancel in C19. Fine coloured alabaster tomb of Myles
Branthwaite (died 1612) and his wife Mary to north side of chancel. Full
size effigies with Myles lying on side Mary on back. Flanking Corinthian
columns supporting a coffered arch and obelisks. Strapwork and painted
achievement above, inscription with elaborate cartouche in tympanum and
3 kneeling weepers below.