You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 228554  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Smee LRPS

IoE Number: 228554
Photographer: Mr Peter Smee LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 May 2002
Date listed: 25 September 1962
Date of last amendment: 25 September 1962
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TG 31 SEWOODBASTWICKRANWORTH5/106Church of St. Helen.25/9/62I

TG 31 SE WOODBASTWICK RANWORTH 5/106 Church of St. Helen. 25/9/62 I Parish church, C15, of flint with stone dressings and lead roof. West tower, nave, north porch, south porch and chancel. 3 stage tower with flushwork on basecourse and on face of diagonal off set buttresses. Polygonal north stair turret. Perpendicular west door and doorway with head label stops. West window dated 1902. Rectangular traceried sound holes with hood moulds. 2 light bell openings with Curvilinear tracery. Gargoyles at angles below flushwork battlemented parapet with battlemented finials. 4 bay nave with Perpendicular traceried windows with 4 centred arches between off set buttresses. Flushwork on buttresses. Ashlar battlemented parapet and verge. 2 storeyed north porch with blocked north doorway now used as a vestry. North doorway with attached shafts. 1 light first floor gable window flanked by niches under flat hood mould. 2 light ground floor windows and 1 light first floor windows containing medieval glass fragments to east and west. Diagonal buttresses and parapet gable. Perpendicular door and doorway inside to nave. South porch with Perpendicular entrance with attached shafts and above, a niche with ogee cusped head containing C19 effigy. North and south 2 light windows containing Reticulated tracery. Diagonal buttresses and parapet verge. Inside arch braced roof. C14 south double doors and doorway to nave. Plank and muntin door with restored 'Y' tracery. Hood mould over door arch with fleurons and to left, head label stop. 2 bay chancel with Reticulated 2 light windows and central priest's door with C15 door to north, and 2 light Perpen- dicular windows to south with stilted basket arches. Grotesques on label stops. Off set buttresses. Restored, Reticulated, 3 light east window. Parapet verge with brick kneelers. Perpendicular tower arch with attached shafts. Rood loft stair in north wall. King post roof c.1901. Perpendicular chancel arch with attached shafts. Remnants of Easter Sepulchre and aumbry on north chancel wall. Angle piscina with ogee tracery and fleurons in rectangular spandrels. Dropped sill sedilia. Arch braced roof. Shields at junction of purlins and at base of wall posts. Roll moulded sill beam. One of England's finest painted screens encloses the chancel and continues to north and south forming reredos and enclosing ends of side altars. Projections at sides of altars end in octagonal candle holders. Central section of 8 single light openings with 2 bay central opening with traceried heads, some with crockets. Dado with traceried panels. Fan vaulting in timber up to moulded and carved rood beam, though pendant section of vaulting and rood loft balustrade missing. North and south reredos have traceried panels with Perpendicular tracery above with niches. Attached shafts with crowned capitals between panels. Battlemented dado rail on north reredos. Much of the original paint scheme survives depicting angels and saints within the dado panels. Floral patterns with raised decoration and much gilding. Wide use made of stencilled patterns. Chancel side of screen also painted. Medieval floor tiles under south section of screen. Fine C14 choir stalls against screen with misericords and desks with poppy-heads. C17 sanctuary rail with turned newels with ball finials and balusters. C20 benches with medieval ends with poppy-heads. Medieval 2 sided lecturn on octagonal shaft with base and capitals, and original paint scheme depicting on one side the eagle for St. John, and on the other, plainsong and verse. Octagonal font of Purbeck marble, with blind arcade of semi-circular arches and fleur-de-lys. Bowl on heavy octagonal base. Several small brasses. Wall monument to Thomas Holdiche of Ranworth Old Hall, died 1579. Pediment and entablature supported of fluted pilasters over a niche with tudor arch containing inscription. Fragments of C14 stained glass in chancel and in north nave windows. C19 organ loft on north nave wall.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.