You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 236741  

Print Page

© Mrs Mary Scott

IoE Number: 236741
Photographer: Mrs Mary Scott
Date Photographed: 09 February 2006
Date listed: 21 October 1953
Date of last amendment: 15 September 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRINKBURNBRINKBURN PRIORYNZ 19 NW10/72The Manor House (formerlylisted as Brinkburn Priory21.10.53

BRINKBURN BRINKBURN PRIORY NZ 19 NW 10/72 The Manor House (formerly listed as Brinkburn Priory 21.10.53 House) GV II* Country House. C13 south range of Priory conventual buildings converted into house for Fenwick family in later C16, remodelled 1810 for Richard Hodgson; alterations and major extensions 1830-37 by John Dobson for William Hodgson Cadogan. Squared stone with cut dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Irregular plan; the surviving part of the 1810 house forms an L-plan wing at the east end of the Dobson section which consists of a grouping of 3 square or rectangular towers, with further west outbuildings around an irregular quadrangle. 1810 house Gothick style, 1830-37 parts castellated neo-Tudor. North (entrance) front in two main sections. 2-storey, 3-bay left part is 1810 house: plinth, moulded cornice and parapet. Centre bay shows tall 24- pane sash window with intersecting glazing bars under arched head; similar window now blocked to left; later 3-light transomed window with 2-light mullioned window above on right. Low-pitched hipped roof. 1830-37 right part, set forward, in 3 sections: 3-storey tower on left has central 2-storey projecting porch with tall Gothic arch under hoodmould, and taller turret set back to right. Set-back 2-storey, 2-bay centre and set further back 3-storey tower with blank shield in large panel below parapet, and corbelled- out oriel set diagonally at right end. Mullioned and mullioned-and-transomed windows, with small-paned sashes and casements, under hoodmoulds. Embattled parapets; tall stacks with dentilled cornices. To far right, at lower level, embattled yard wall with segmental-pointed carriage arch and small tower at right end. 3-bay left return shows central 3-window Gothick bow, with French windows, and 1st floor sill band below 16-pane sashes; all openings with intersecting glazing bars in heads. Similar 12-pane sashes to 1st floor of flanking bays. South (river) front: 2-storey 1810 part has projecting right end bay with mid-C19 canted bay window. 1830-37 left part has 4-storey towers, the left with a corbelled-out 2nd-floor oriel, flanking a 3-storey centre. Interior: 1810 part incorporates pre-C19 remains; inserted C16 barrel vault in cellar; north wall of conventual range, now internal, has C13 moulded segmental lavatory arch and blocked openings including C16 mullioned windows. Stair hall and large drawing room have plaster work of c.1830 with enriched cornices and ceiling borders; of this period are the panelled door architraves and reveals, and the iron staircase with patterned panel balusters on alternate treads, shaped tread ends, wreathed handrail and spiral curtail. Small south drawing room, with added bay of c.1860, has enriched cornice of this period and dado panelling. Similar detail in other rooms of 1810 part but 1830-37 extension gutted internally. Original fireplaces removed. G. Fairclough, 'Brinkburn Priory, a structural analysis of the manor house', Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series, VIII (1980) 142-152.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.