© Mr John Hogg
OLD WINDMILL FORMING PART OF LANTHORN COTTAGE, ACOMB MILL
ACOMB, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr John Hogg
25 July 2006
24 May 1988
Date of last amendment:
24 May 1988
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ACOMB ACOMB MILL
18/10 Old windmill
forming part of
Windmill tower, dated 1720 with initials R R (Richard Ridley) on lintel,
altered to house in late C18 or early C19. Squared tooled stone; Lakeland slate
roof. Circular 3-storeyed tower. Chamfered plinth. Ground floor has old doorway
with broadly-chamfered stone surround (now opening into later cottage), 12-pane
sash window on south with iron bars externally and sundial incised on sill,
blocked door on east and renewed 9-pane fixed window on north in chamfered
surround with dated lintel. 1st floor has 12-pane sash on south and blocked
chamfered light on east. 2nd floor has 4 small chamfered lights, that on east
blocked. Pyramidal roof, stepped stack on east side.
Interior; ground floor fireplace in tooled stone surround; 1st floor has heavy
ceiling beams showing mortices for framework of mill machinery, and carpenter's
Attached cottage of c.1977 not of interest.
Operated in the C18 in conjunction with the nearby watermill (Acomb Mill, q.v.).
Shown on O.S. maps as The Lantern.