You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 240693  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 240693
Location: BELLISTER CASTLE, BELLISTER ROAD (south off)
  FEATHERSTONE, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 11 September 2005
Date listed: 27 July 1987
Date of last amendment: 10 June 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

FEATHERSTONEBELLISTER ROADNY 76 SW(South side, off)16/89Bellister Castle10/6/52(formerly listed

FEATHERSTONE BELLISTER ROAD NY 76 SW (South side, off) 16/89 Bellister Castle 10/6/52 (formerly listed in the Civil Parish of Bellister) GV I Ruined tower house and adjoining occupied house. Ruined section possibly a C13 hall-house with C14 (possibly solar) tower on west; altered c.1600. Occupied house dated 1669 but possibly incorporating medieval fabric in lower courses; major alterations c.1826 by John Dobson and c.1890; partly rebuilt c.1901-5 following an extensive fire. Tower coursed rubble with dressings; roofless. House squared and snecked sandstone, roofs not visible. L-plan medieval range with U-plan occupied house on east end. Castellated style house. Ruined section of 2 builds retains few architectural details. Original north and west walls are 2 and 3 storeys high, south wall has partly collapsed and east wall is largely destroyed. Projecting north-west corner with alternating quoins; fragment of spiral stair near south-west corner. Narrower added tower on west has similar projecting corners; fragmentary window openings on north; window in surround with double-roll moulding set high on west; fragment of garderobe on partly-collapsed south wall. Occupied house has mainly C19 2- and 3-light mullioned windows and embattled parapets. North front has recessed centre and projecting wings: 3-storey, 3-bay centre has possibly re-set moulded ogee-headed doorway and 1669 datestone; slightly-projecting c.1890 tower on west, adjoining ruined section, with projecting single-storey wing on front; far-projecting early C19 2-storey east wing with flanking corner turrets, cross windows and a later 3-storey semi- octagonal tower on north-west corner. 2-storey, 3-bay east return has projecting tower with pointed doorway, flanking elaborate oriel windows and projecting corners. South front of 2 builds: recessed 3-storey, 3-bay centre; c.1890 tower at west with taller turret; wider 2-storey tower at east with projecting corners and turrets. Interior refitted in early C20.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.