You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 241798  

Print Page



© Mr Peter J Ellis

IoE Number: 241798
Location: FRIARY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SUNDAY SCHOOL, MUSTERS ROAD (west side)
  WEST BRIDGFORD, RUSHCLIFFE, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter J Ellis
Date Photographed: 24 August 2007
Date listed: 13 April 1987
Date of last amendment: 13 April 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 53 NEWEST BRIDGFORDMUSTERS ROAD(west side)1/7Friary UnitedReformed Church

SK 53 NE WEST BRIDGFORD MUSTERS ROAD (west side) 1/7 Friary United Reformed Church and adjoining Sunday School II Presbyterian Church and Sunday School. Now United Reformed Church. 1898. By Brewill and Baily. C15 style. Tooled and plain ashlar and brick. Hipped, gabled and lean-to plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinth, moulded parapet, shouldered coped gables, one with cross. Ornate iron gutter brackets. Single roof stack. Windows are mullioned casements with coved reveals and Decorated lancets with moulded reveals, coved mullions and hood moulds. Tower, nave and chancel, north and south aisles, vestry, Sunday school. North west tower, single stage, has string course and 4 pairs of battered corner buttresses plus a single central buttress each side. Corner buttresses extend upward to form pinnacles. Central buttresses have spouts at their heads. Moulded and shaped crenellated parapet. To north, 2 casements. To east, 2 double doors with moulded segmental heads. Above them, 2 double casements. Above again, on each side, a double lancet louvred opening with moulded segmental headed reveal. Nave clerestory has on each side 5 Decorated triple lancets with ogee heads. Nave east end has a pair of battered buttresses with stepped heads and 3 inscribed foundation stones, the central one dated 1900. Above, 3 mullioned casements. Above again, 5 light Decorated lancet with buttresses flanking mullions. Chancel west end has 5 light Decorated lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. Above it, a small casement. North and south aisles have each 5 triple mullioned casements. Vestry, to north west, 3 bays, has shaped parapet and central coped gable. North side has a pair of double casements flanked by single doorways with moulded segmental heads and battered flanking buttresses. Beyond, to right, a casement. West side has 2 casements. Sunday School, adjoining west end, brick with ashlar dressings, has to north 3 casements. To west, off-centre gable with large metal casement, flanked to left by 2 and to right by 6 smaller metal casements. East side has central porch with coped parapet, containing doorway with moulded segmental head. Flanked by single casements. South gable has a casement and to right, parapeted porch in return angle with single segmental headed doorway. South east porch has to south 2 pairs of pointed double doors in pointed opening with hood mould. Pair of battered flanking buttresses. To east, a casement. Adjoining church hall is of no special interest. Nave north and south arcades, 5 bays, have octagonal piers and moulded segmental arches. Panelled dado. Glazed draught screen at west end. Hammer beam roof with large curved braces. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs and a door with segmental head at their west ends. Chancel has chamfered and pointed arch. Left side has pointed opening containing organ in C15 style traceried case. East end has panelled canopied screen. Central door with segmental head, flanked by single niches with segmental heads, containing War Memorial brasses, c.1920. Above door, similar brass, 1945. East window has stained glass memorial design c.1920. Monuments include large re-sited C14 style wall tablet, 1852. C20 stone tablet. 2 C20 brasses. Fittings include octagonal oak pulpit with buttresses, on ashlar base. Matching sounding board 1953. Panelled oak font on stand. Panelled softwood benches and stalls.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.