You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 244289  

Print Page



© Mr J. B. Moseley

IoE Number: 244289
Location: WYKHAM PARK (TUDOR HALL SCHOOL) C17 RANGE TO NORTH EAST OF C19 HOUSE, BLOXHAM ROAD (east side)
  BANBURY, CHERWELL, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr J. B. Moseley
Date Photographed: 06 June 2005
Date listed: 09 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 14 February 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP43NW BANBURY BLOXHAM ROAD(East Side)Wykham3/1 Wykham Park (Tudor Hall09/04/52 School) C17 range to NE of C19

SP43NW BANBURY BLOXHAM ROAD (East Side) Wykham 3/1 Wykham Park (Tudor Hall 09/04/52 School) C17 range to NE of C19 house (Formerly listed as Wykham Park (Tudor Hall School)) GV II House now school boarding house and music rooms. C17 and earlier, remodelled C20. Reset datestone 1619 in left end wall. Finely jointed ashlar ironstone. Stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses with Welsh slate roof to rear. Renewed stone ridge and end stacks. Stone copinqs with renewed stone kneelers. Stone plinth. storeys plus attic. 6-window range altogether. Main range is flanked by wings of one-window width. Main range: 4-centred doorway to left has chamfered soffit and jambs. Plank door. Doorway is flanked by 3-light stone-mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops, To right of door a small square recess has carved stone floral decoration. Four 3-light stone-mullioned windows to first floor have hood moulds and label stops. Side wings have the same window arrangement: 4-light stone mullions to ground flour and first floor and 3-light stone mullions to attic storey. All windows have hood moulds and label stops. 4-centred doorways on return sides have plank doors and hood moulds. Some windows have wrought-iron casement fasteners. Interior: remodelled. Large C20 additions to rear not of special architectural interest. (Skelton, J., History of Oxfordshire, 1823, Banbury Hundred, p.6; Beesley, A.: History of Banbury 1841, p.107 and 349; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire. Vol.X, p.47).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.