You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 255068  

Print Page

© Mr J K Aldred

IoE Number: 255068
Location: WILLEY TOLL HOUSE, B 4376 (south side)
Photographer: Mr J K Aldred
Date Photographed: 13 August 2002
Date listed: 31 December 1987
Date of last amendment: 31 December 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.BROSELEYBROSELEY5357B4376(South Side)SJ 674007 9/273Willey Toll House

1. BROSELEY BROSELEY 5357 B4376 (South Side) SJ 674007 9/273 Willey Toll House II 2. Former toll house. Early C19, extended mid C19. Red brick in part formerly stuccoed and in part whitewashed. Plain-tile pyramidal roof with centre stack to original part; plain-tile roof with brick end stack to extension. Octagonal plan with extension to right. Single storey and basement. Tudor-Gothic style. To left a Tudor-arched doorway and studded door with flat hood on brackets. Most sides have 2-centre arched window openings in part with frames with simple tracery lights. Plinth, band and crenellated parapet. Extension to right has window opening and, on right end, a small 2-centre arched window, part-projecting end stack, and small basement lean-to. To rear are doorways to basements. A new turnpike road was opened in 1808, and the 1838 Broseley tithe map shows an octagonal building at the site of the toll house; the tithe award indicating that it was owned by Lord Forester, occupied by the Commissioners of Road and relet to Edward Price. (Ironbridge Gorge Museum Archaeology Unit Report, 1987).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.