You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 256671  

Print Page



© Mr Les White

IoE Number: 256671
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER,
  MELVERLEY, OSWESTRY, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les White
Date Photographed: 13 March 2005
Date listed: 08 October 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 October 1959
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MELVERLEY C.P.MELVERLEYSJ 31 NW11/119Church of St. Peter-

MELVERLEY C.P. MELVERLEY SJ 31 NW 11/119 Church of St. Peter - 8.10.59 GV I Parish church. Probably late C15 with C16 porch and bellcote of c.1718; restored 1878 and 1924-5. Timber framed with rendered lathe and plaster infill on rubblestone plinth (C19 brick plinth to east end). Machine tile roof with ornamental cresting. Rectangular nave and chancel in one with west bellcote and south porch. Framing: close-set thick vertical posts with middle rail on north, south and west; cambered tie beams to gable ends. East end more renewed with 2 middle rails and slightly curving diagonal bracing. Similar close-set posts to slightly later porch which has outer tie beam with raking struts to principal rafters and wall posts. Two square panels to each face of formerly weatherboarded bellcote, which has louvred openings below eaves of broached slate spire. Restored moulded leaded mullioned and transomed window of 4 lights immediately to east of porch is possibly C17; similar leaded mullioned window of 2 lights to far right is C19. East window of 1878 has 5 cusped lights and projecting moulded cill. Small 2-light leaded mullion window inserted in middle rail to centre on north side. West wall has 2 small C19 leaded mullion windows on ground floor and two 3-light leaded mullion windows in space between tie beam and collar. Segmental-headed south doorway has mortices to underside of reused lintel; massive plank door with 2 raised ledges and huge timber block to thresh-hold (continuation of sole- plate). Interior. Vestibule/narthex has red tile floor. Reused late C16 square and rectangular oak panelling in screen separating it from main body of church with inscription "INRI ANO DONI 1588' C(?)TO / EXDOMOED: THORN" to bottom. Oak winder staircase in south-west corner leads to gallery. This was erected in 1718 and has bulbous turned balusters to rail. Bracing fort bellcote on tie beam above, C15 double-purlin roof in 4 bays has slightly cambered collar and tie beam end trusses with V- struts from west collar and vertical struts to east. First trusses from east and west are arch-braced with V-struts from collars. Massive chamfered wall posts, double purlins and cusped windbraces. Centre truss has cambered tie beam and collar, former with raking struts to principal rafters. Vertical struts also carried down from tie beam to form open screen. Moulded horizontal beam with moulded cambered arch-way to centre. Open to left and right with vertical struts and plain plank and muntin dado. North, south and west walls have long internal diagonal braces, some slightly curved, in front of exposed timber framing. Octagonal concave-sided font with lead lining and wooden cover (c.1718) is probably C15. Finely carved hexagonal Jacobean pulpit with ornamental base; contemporary communion table. Brass chandelier hanging from collar of first truss from east. Early C18 open benches with circular ends, including to gallery and in vestibule (Inscribed "M 1716"), mostly altered in late C19. Small room on north side of vestibule has late C18 wall cupboard with H-hinges fixed to screen. Painted wooden board commemorates John Peers of Bretchel (died 1778) who "Gave in / his Life time five / Shillings yearly in / Bread upon St John.S / Day To the Poor / of The Parish of / Melverley: Forever." Only other monuments of note are wall memorial to Richard and Margaret Downes erected 1730 by their son, John and brass plate in moulded wooden frame to Edward Lloyd (died 1704): both south side. Stained glass in east window by Kempe and Tower workshop with inscription of 1928. Pictur- esquely situated by the bank of the River Vyrnwy, the Church of St. Peter is one of only 2 timber framed churches in Shropshire. B.o.E. p. 198; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), pp. 804-5; appendix p.1000.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.