You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 259216  

Print Page

© Mr Percy Marsh

IoE Number: 259216
Location: THE ROUND HOUSE, 1
Photographer: Mr Percy Marsh
Date Photographed: 03 August 2000
Date listed: 27 November 1987
Date of last amendment: 27 November 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


MONTFORD C.P. MONTFORD BRIDGE SJ 41 NW 5/149 No. 1 (The Round House) - GV II Toll house, now house. Late C18 or early C19, with mid-to late C19 addition. Painted sandstone ashlar with pyramidal slate roof. Painted brick addition with slate roof. Octagonal plan. Corner pilaster strips and integral brick lateral stack to north. Small square and rectangular windows, some blind and some with C20 leading. Central door with 6 raised and fielded panels and late 020 gabled brick porch, with leaded C20 windows. One-storey addition to right with integral brick end stack and segmental-headed 2-light wooden casement to front. Interior not inspected. The toll house stands alongside the Holyhead Road at the north-west end of Montford Bridge (q.v.), of 1792 by Thomas Telford. The toll house dates either from this time or forms part of Telford's Holyhead Road improvements, carried out in the years after 1817.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.