You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 260041  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril Baldwin

IoE Number: 260041
Location: THE ROUND HOUSE, 5 MILL LANE (north side)
  HADNALL, NORTH SHROPSHIRE, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Cyril Baldwin
Date Photographed: 29 May 2006
Date listed: 29 October 1986
Date of last amendment: 29 October 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 52 SWHADNALL C.P.MILL LANE(north-west side)8/47No. 5 (The Round-House)

SJ 52 SW HADNALL C.P. MILL LANE (north-west side) 8/47 No. 5 (The Round - House) - II Windmill, now house. Dated 1787, remodelled in the early C19 and altered in the mid-C20. Red brick, Circular plan with tapering sides; Gothick style. 2 storeys. First floor slightly set forward. Integral brick stack to south. Round-arched 2-light wooden casements with Y-tracery. Glazed door to east with Y-tracery, flanking windows, and first-floor window above in blocked larger opening with cambered stone lintel and cill. Boarded round-arched door to west with window to right and first-floor window above. There are a number of blocked square openings in the wall, some with later smaller inserted windows, and there are also a series of blocked decorative cruciform loops. Datestone in parapet above door to east is illegible except for date at time of survey (December 1985). Interior: large beams and joists. Segmental-arched brick fireplace. Pevsner calls this the Waterloo Windmill and says that it was built by Viscount Hill (d.1842) to commemorate his military exploits. If there is a Waterloo connection then the C18 date must be a misreading (though it is quoted elsewhere). An old photograph owned by the present occupants (December 1985) shows the mill with a ruined third stage. It is also possible that the building was never intended to be a working mill and was built as a partial ruin, or turned into one later, though the large blocked openings would seem to deny this. It seems most likely that it does date from the C18 and only later acquired the Waterloo connections. Pevsner, p.139; W.A. Seaby and A.C. Smith, Windmills in Shropshire, Hereford and Worcester. A Contemporary Survey, Stevenage Museum Publications (1983); Shropshire Records Office, Grinshill tithe map (1838), document no. 4535/T/1.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.