You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262214  

Print Page



© Mr John Chester

IoE Number: 262214
Location: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, CHURCH STREET (west side)
  WINSHAM, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Chester
Date Photographed: 26 September 2006
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WINCHAM CPCHURCH STREET (West side)ST30NE4/90Church of St Stephen4.2.58

WINCHAM CP CHURCH STREET (West side) ST30NE 4/90 Church of St Stephen 4.2.58 GV II* Anglican parish church. C13 origins, mostly C15 with C19 restoration. Local lias stone. some rubble. some squared, with areas of flint, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, crossing with tower, and long 2-bay nave, with south porch linked to separate C20 vestry; the chancel inclined southwards off axis, Chancel has plinth angled corner buttresses; east window a 3-light C19 rebuild with geometric tracery and arched square-stop label: in south wall a plain lancet with label to east. a small 2-light early Perpendicular window to west, also with arched label, and between them a mouldid pointed arched doorway with label, probably C15: to north wall a 2-light early Perpendicular window with label to east, and a simple Lancet with unstooped label to west. Central tower. in 3 stages, with octagonal-plan stair-turret, slightly higher, on south-west corner, has strings, corner gargoyles, battlemented parapets, side buttresses 2 stages high: lowest stage plain to north, but with restored 2-light C15 traceried window in deep hollowed recess on south; stage 2 has small lancet on east face: to all faces of stage 3 are 2-light C15 traceried windows in deep 4-centre-arched hollowed recesses, with clockface inserted on east side. Nave has plinth, angled corner and bay buttresses; wide 3-light C15 traceried windows of varying patterns in deep hollowed recesses under arched square-stop labels, 2 each on north and south sides: west end has a former moulded pointed-arched doorway under deep square label with headstops, and foliage-carved spandrils, now converted to a 3-light window, flanked by, two half-height buttresses, and above an almost semi-circular-arched 3-light window with Curvilinear tracery under beadstop label. South porch gabled and coped with squared block sundial, with no buttresses; plain chamfered pointed outer arch, with pair C18 panelled doors; inner doorway chamfered and almost semi-circular arched. Linked to the porch by a pitched-roof covered way is the vestry of l926/30/, in cut and squared Ham stone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof between coped gables with finials, the ridge parallel with that of nave; 2-light C15 style windows in gable walls, and a 3-light flat arched window in south wall; doorway in north wall opposite porch. Interior varied. Chancel largely restored in C19, with open ribbed barrel vault roof; windows on south side have internal labels; east wall has fragments of linenfold panelling used as dado, and an 1873 reredos by Harry Hems of Exeter. Chancel and nave arches of crossing of C15, with timber screen mostly of C15; the under-tower space has a C19 timber roof. Nave has a timber rib-and-panel roof with large bosses, possibly of C15; small squint on south side of nave arch. Fittings include fine Jacobean timber panelled pulpit, with Ionic columns to corners, on a later base, with an octagonal tester having a bell-hip top with acorn finial; C15 panelled octagonal stone font; otherwise fittings Cl9. On north wall of tower a fine painted tympanum piece on boards, illuminatinq the crucifixion; of C15/Cl6, this is one of very few known with this subject, and formerly was set over the screen/rood loft. Memorials include a wall tablet in marble commemorating Robert Henley, died 1639 in east wall of chancel. Six mass dials on exterior of building. First recorded rector 1321. (Pevsner, N, Buildigns of England, South and West Somerset, l958; A Short History and Guide, The Church of St Stephen Winsham, Published by the PCC).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.