You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262415  

Print Page



© Mr Duncan Miller

IoE Number: 262415
Location: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE (west side)
  MISTERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Duncan Miller
Date Photographed: 11 May 2004
Date listed: 18 December 1987
Date of last amendment: 18 December 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST40NEMISTERTON CPCHURCH LANE (West side)6/165Church of St LeonardGV II

ST40NE MISTERTON CP CHURCH LANE (West side) 6/165 Church of St Leonard GV II Anglican parish chuch. 1840, by Sampson Kempthorne, architect. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings: Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables, with western bell turret. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel and 5-bay nave, with south porch, gothic revival. Chancel has chamfered plinth, with a 3-light east window with label, traceried in C15 style. Lean-to vestry on north side with pointed arch 'Y'-traceried diamond leaded casement in east wall. A 3-cusped-light flat arched window on south side, with simple 4-centre-arched doorway to left. Nave has plinth; plain chamfered lancet windows without labels, that to bay 2 on south side having high cill to accommodate porch to match, with 4-centre moulded outer arch and iron gate. Inside a plainly detailed design. Coved boarded chancel ceiling, blue with gold stars. Typical communion rail of period set across the plain pointed chancel arch. Nave ceiling has queenpost roof trusses. Rear gallery with organ, carried on 2 cast-iron columns. Most fittings of 1840, but pulpit replaced in 1948. One 1797 memorial plaque on north wall, all other memorials C19, mostly post-1840. On rear wall a hatchment of Charles II dated 1660, but overpainted for William in 1695. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p67).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.