You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262467  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262467
Location: HENLEY MANOR FARMHOUSE,
  WEST CREWKERNE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 05 September 2005
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST40NWWEST CREWKERNE CPHENLEY5/210 Henley Manor Farmhouse4.2.58

ST40NW WEST CREWKERNE CP HENLEY 5/210 Henley Manor Farmhouse 4.2.58 II* Detached farmhouse. Mostly early C17, but possibly with medieval fragments. Mostly Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, over stone slate base courses to centre block; ashlar and brick chimney stacks. 'U'-plan, the central portion having double-roof plan; 3-storey and 2-storey with attics. East elevation of 2 storeys with attic, 6 bays, of which bay 6 is a gabled projection. Moulded plinth, string courses. 2-light hollow-chamfer mullioned and transomed cruciform windows, in wave-mould recesses, mostly rectangular leaded. To bay 5 an ovolo-mould 4-centre-arched doorway with 2-light window over. In flank of the bay 6 gable a further cruciform window to first floor and signs of a blacked window below. In gable end are reserve-chamfer mullioned windows, each with separate labels, of 4-lights to ground and first floors and 3-light to attic. Windows in south gable of this wing all blocked, with pairs of cruciform windows to attic and first floor, one of the latter now in reuse, a C20 window to ground floor which was apparently blank before. On west return 2 more cruciform windows, a C20 window and a doorway, this last possibly in a former window position. The central range, on an east-west axis, of 3 storeys, 4 bays, irregular fenestration. Straight joint between bays 1 and 2. To bay 1 are 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in chamfered recesses to first and second floors, the 4-light below now adapted to incorporate a doorway, the top window having unworked top mitres, and hinting at a later Cl7 date for this section. In bay 2 are two mezzanine windows, a 2-light hollow-chamfer and a single-light plain chamfer; to bay 3 a 2-light reserve-chamfer mullioned window to first floor and below a doorways with a C19 open stone porch with flat roof. To bay 4 a tall mezzamine window, probably cruciform originally but the transome apparently removed. The west block virtually detached, having a 2 storeys high link wall and simple doorway between it and the centre block: in part this could be a C19 rebuild. 2 storeys with attics, 3 bays. Plinth, string moulds over both floors. Hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in chamfered recesses, 5-light to ground floor, 4-light to first, and 3-light to attics, set into plain gables under hoodmoulds. Between bays are cambered-arched doorways. At first floor level between bays 1/2 a small trefoil cusped window. South gable plain, as is west flank, except for the string courses on both sides. A C20 door and window inserted at ground floor level and a small lean-to added, and fire escape added to north-west corner. Interior not seen although in one ownership there appear to be several tenants, as well as business and conference use. The courtyard surface of interest: a sunken yard with cobbles and stone paving between steps and doorways, seemingly of early date.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.