You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262849  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262849
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, WEST CHARLTON (north side)
  CHARLTON MACKRELL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 01 September 2003
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 September 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST52NWCHARLTON MACKRELL CPWEST CHARLTON (North side)5/44Church of St Mary(previously listed as Church ofSt Mary the Virgin)

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP WEST CHARLTON (North side) 5/44 Church of St Mary (previously listed as Church of St Mary the Virgin) 17.4.59 GV II* Parish church. C13 origins, but restored 1792-4 and 1847. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone ashlar and dressings; stone slate roof between coped gables. Cruciform plan, with south porch, north east vestry and tower over crossing. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses with moulded offsets, eaves course; east window a C19 version of C14 tracery, 3-lights, arched label with foliated stops; 2 similar windows on south side, and between them a trefoil arched doorway; one similar window in north wall, but to north east corner a C19 Vestry, apsidal plan in a C13 style with hipped roof. north transept has plinth, double corner buttresses, eaves course; 2-light C19 tracery east and west windows, but north window a fine 5-light curvilinear traceried window of c1300-1340, with unstopped arched label. South transept has angled corner buttresses, with C19 copies of C15 windows, 2-light to east and west, 3-light to south, this last with headstop label. Nave has 3 C14 style traceried windows to north wall, and two early C15 style to south wall, all 3-lights; between these last the south porch with C13 style arch with ball flower decoration and headstops to label; inner arch C15 style, but walls and encaustic tile floor C19: west window has elaborate C15 style tracery, with transome and headstop to label; a former square headed doorway under now blocked. Tower has one stage clear of roof ridges, with string courses, corner gargoyles and battlemented parapet; south east corner stair turret capped with spirelet; 2-light traceried windows in hollow recesses, with headstop labels, to each face, fitted with decorative pierced stone baffles. Inside spacious, but almost totally C19. Chancel has windbraced arched trussed roof, richly decorated stone reredos; an ogee arched piscina possibly C14, and the chancel and crossing arches may be C14. Organ in south transept; in north transept a tulip bowl font on turned base, probably C13. Nave has richly decorated stone pulpit and octagonal font at west end, with wood cover; elaborately decorated bench ends to west of nave, some of which are early C16: early C19 glass in west window; two chandeliers, probably C18. (Hamilton and Long, Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, 1961).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.