© Mr John Barker
THE MARKET CROSS, MARKET PLACE
SOMERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr John Barker
24 September 2002
17 April 1959
Date of last amendment:
17 April 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST49NW SOMERTON CP MARKET PLACE
9/159 The Market Cross
Market Cross. Rebuilt 1673, with repairs in 1925, 1950 and 1983. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone
dressings; multi-hipped conoid stone slate roof with stone ball finial surmounted by metal cross. Octagonal plan.
Keinton stone slab base, up one step; central octagonal shaft with 3 step base and top corbelled to support roof
timbers; to outer face each bay a segmental voussoired arch with lias imposts and Ham keystone, with angled offset
buttresses each corner to impost height; above, a string course with corner gargoyles and battlemented parapet. Most
important element in street scene. There has been a cross on this site since at least 1390: this cross owned by Lord
Ilchester was sold to the town in 1916. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 18). (VCH, Volume III, 1974;
Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877).