You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262966  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 262966
Location: TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE
  SOMERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 07 July 2003
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 September 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST49NWSOMERTON CPMARKET PLACE9/160The Market Hall(formerly listed as the TownHall)

ST49NW SOMERTON CP MARKET PLACE 9/160 The Market Hall (formerly listed as the Town Hall) 17.4.59 GV II Market and Town Hall. C17 origins. Local lias stone cut and roughly squared, Ham stone dressings; clay pantiled roof between stepped coped gables with ball finials, ornamental clay tile ridge. Two storeys, 5 bays; south elevation has offset buttresses up to between-floors string course, which is interrupted by arches and labels to openings; cambered arched doorway recess bay 1; 4 light chamfered mullioned window with flat head bay 2; semi circular arched doorways bays 4 and 5; matching mullioned windows with labels to upper bays 1,2,4 and 5. east end has tall 5 light mullioned and transomed window with semi-circular head; small added porch with coped gable and cambered arched doorway at west end with smaller 5 light window above, having 4 centre arched head. north side has taller buttresses, and to bays 1 and 2 full height 5 light flat arched mullioned and transomed windows; bay 3 a slightly projecting chimney stack with offsets, with 2-light window, lower right and similar window lower bay 4; upper bay 4 has 5 light window all on this side without labels: bay 5 a cambered arched doorway up 3 steps. In north west corner against porch a cast iron pump and stone bowl. Interior not seen: building undergoing substantial patching externally and interior remodelling (June 1984). The former Shambles House of at least 1688, repaired 1799. By 1841 focus of the meat market, but also used by local magistrates until 1870- the west porch is a former lock-up. Owned by Lord Ilchester, it was sold to the town in 1913. Included for historical interest and importance in street scene. (VCH, Volume III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.