You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262983  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Green

IoE Number: 262983
Location: RED LION HOTEL, WITH FRONT BOUNDARY RAILINGS ATTACHED, MARKET PLACE (east side)
  SOMERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Green
Date Photographed: 15 April 2007
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST49NW SOMERTON CP MARKET PLACE (East side) 9/161 Red Lion Hotel, with front boundary railings attached (including premises adjoining Red Lion (P 0) formerly listed as a separate item) 17.4.59 GV II* Hotel. Mostly c1770, with modifications, but possibly retaining earlier fragments. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roof between coped gables; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 5 wide bays. plinth, cornice, plain parapet, thin toothed ashlar quoins; centre bay has plain pilasters, string course to impost level of central 3 centred triple keystoned arch, open pediment with arms of the Earls of Ilchester in tympanum; 4+12+4 pane composite sash windows to outer bays both levels; 8+12+8 pane sash windows bays 2 and 4, and Venetian window to central bay upper: between bays 1 and 2, and 4 and 5, are C20 boarded doors with C20 stone surrounds, the left pedimented, the right with heavy flat stone hood on brackets. Interior and rear buildings around courtyard radically altered in later C20. Attached to front, small stone kerb to plinth height, with wrot iron railings with simple twist spikes, enclosing small areas to each of the 4 outer bays, with returns to facade. Impressive facade with important streetscape value. north end was formerly adapted to form post office, now reincorporated into hotel. (VCH, Volume III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.