You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263220  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Green

IoE Number: 263220
Location: MANOR FARM HOUSE, THE GREEN (south side)
  LONG SUTTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Green
Date Photographed: 30 July 2007
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 07 February 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LONG SUTTON CP THE GREEN (south side) ST4628 12/154 The Manor House (formerly listed as Manor Farm House) 17.4.59 GV II* Detached House. Probably late C15, reshaped in C17, C18 and C19. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs over stone slate base courses, between coped gables; brick chimney stacks. Complex plan: north elevation of 2 storeys, 6 bays, of which bays 2 and 6 are gabled projecting wings and bay 4 a single-storey lean-to porch. Mostly hollow chamfer mullioned windows of 2 or 3 lights, with square labels; but lower bays 5 and 6 have early C18 segmental arched architraved openings, bay 5 with a 12-pane sash window and bay 6 with French doors; open porch has semi-circular arch with keystone and moulded imposts, with an early boarded door with plain opening inside; gable wall to bay 2 has only a boarded door, but two 3-light mullioned windows in west return wall, and stone stairs to first floor level on the east return; bay 1 has an outshut and moulded doorway with flat arch. The east gable has further mullioned windows, one blocked, with small square attic window. The south elevation of 5 bays, of which bays 1 to 3 are early C19 remodelling, with 16-pane sash windows in plain openings under stone lintols, and an open porch to bay 2 of non-classical detail; these bays marked by end pilasters: moulded cambered arched doorway between bays 3 and 4; bay 4 has 3-light chamfer mullioned windows with flat head lights below and 4-centre arched lights with incised spandrils above, these last repeated in bay 5, all with labels. Formerly cross-passage plan, now modified, interior contains moulded cambered arched fireplaces, and some C18 fielded panelling to the main inner room, as well as two staircases, one in a turret, one spiral in a gable: roof replaced c1800. (VAG Report, SRO Unpublished 1976) Some early C16 stained glass iron the Church inside the house: the house, formerly known as Sutton Valence Manor, recorded by 1538 (VCH, vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.