You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263241  

Print Page



© Mr Graham Slocombe LRPS

IoE Number: 263241
Location: THE FRIEND'S MEETING HOUSE, LANGPORT ROAD (south side)
  LONG SUTTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Graham Slocombe LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 October 1999
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LONG SUTTON CP LANGPORT ROAD (South side) ST4625 12/175 The Friend's Meeting House 17.4.59 GV II* Quaker Meeting House. Dated 1717. Local lias stone ashlar, Ham stone dressings; hipped Welsh slate roof laid in diminishing courses, over stone slate base courses. Single storey with gallery along east side; 3 bays by one bay. Plinth, string course above windows, timber eaves course: north elevation has 18-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars and panelled external shutters, set in plain Ham stone surrounds; to bay 1 a pair of ornamental fielded panel doors in very heavy moulded frame under segmental leap-covered timber hood, which could be early C20; over centre window small square plaque with hood mould, inscribed "Ex Dono/ Willm Steell/Anno Dom/1717". South elevation a mirror image of the north. east elevation has 2 windows, that to ground floor set lower, being a 12-pane sash under label mould, with shutters; above an 18-pane sash window set directly under eaves course and cutting through string course, again with shutters. West elevation has high window only, below which is a C20 flat-roofed lean-to. Interior completely unaltered: through passage on east side, under gallery, with fielded panelling as partition to meeting room proper and as stair enclosure; balustered staircase, stone flag floor: gallery above plain, screened from meeting room by fielded panelling with sliding shutters. Meeting room severely plain: unadorned plasterwork with rounded cove to ceiling; two cast iron column props inserted under gallery beam; pine plank floor, raised along west wall, which has panelled dado; elm benches, many of which appear to be original; several windows have crown glass panes. Friends' meeting held in the parish by 1662, and there was a licensed meeting-house by 1669. It was closed briefly in 1793 and 1798, but prospered after the closure of the Somerton meeting house in 1828. (VCH, Vol III, 1974; Little, B; 'A Village of Tudors and Quakers'; Country Life 17-10-1968).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.