You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263243  

Print Page



© Mr Graham Slocombe LRPS

IoE Number: 263243
Location: COURT HOUSE, LANGPORT ROAD (south side)
  LONG SUTTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Graham Slocombe LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 October 1999
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LONG SUTTON CP LANGPORT ROAD (South side) ST4625 12/177 Court House 17.4.59 GV II* Detached house. C14 origins, C15 and C17 work, restored 1932. Local lias stone roughtly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; clay pantiled roof over stone slate base courses between coped gables, gabletted finials to north and west; stone chimney stacks. 'T' plan with additions. south east elevation of 2 storeys, 5 bays, with single-storey projecting porch to bay 3. Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with 4-centre arched light, some leaded, mostly with square labels; bay 1 has 3-lights to both levels, bay 2 has 2-light windows; upper bay 3 is 3-light set higher; bay 4 has a 2-light above, the window below now blocked; lower bay 5 has a 3-light small pane casement window of earlier C20: the porch, probably C17, has a coped gable with gabletted finial, and an open semi-circular headed archway with moulded imposts, keystone and semi-circular label, a C15 board and strip door being set inside in a cambered arched doorway. The north west elevation has a projecting 2-storey porch in centre with angled corner buttresses, but the doorway is now blocked, although a pointed relieving arch remains; above is a 2-light mullioned window; another mullioned window lower bay 1, a projecting chimney breast with plain gable bay 2; other windows are C18 type leaded casements with iron opening lights. The north east elevation has a 4-light mullioned window at first floor level, with squared label stepped over a small plaque inscribed "Thomas Spigurnell, Gent, 1658", and a matching 2-light window above. The south east elevation has a C20 French door and a casement with iron opening lights, under an old timber lintol/frame member, and right of these an early casement of 7 lights, with square uprights close together, set diagonally; at first floor level a small stair light and a blocked attic window in gable. Inside, the house of two distinct halves; the southern apparently always 2-storyed, the south east wall possibly timber framed; central cross passage, with timber doorway into north west porch, south east doorway blocked by C17 staircase-probably Spigurnell in 1658: the northern half the Hall proper, itself now with inserted floor; below a room with square-headed moulded fireplace in north west wall; in chamber above an open smoke-blackened roof, part repaired; 3 main bays divided by arched-braced collar-bear trusses with raised base-cruck principals, with intermediate braced crown-post trusses, curved windbraces; at southern end a plank and muntin partition at high level screening remainder of roof, and in north west wall two cambered arched fireplaces and alongside, into room over porch, a framed boarded door possibly C16; this room has curved collar truss roof of 2 bays, internal iron bars to its 2-light window; in passage above through passage a moulded boarded partition with 9-panel floor, probably C17. Representing the farm house of the Sutton St. Cleers Manor, there appears to be no direct evidence for the name Court House; badly deteriorated, it was restored by the Clark family, the shoe-makers of Street, and vested in a Quaker Trust in 1932 (VCH Vol III, 1974; VAG Report, SRO Unpublished, 1976).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.