You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263287  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Green

IoE Number: 263287
Location: THE PRIEST'S HOUSE,
  MUCHELNEY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Green
Date Photographed: 05 November 2006
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MUCHELNEY CPST42SW -8/225The Priest's house17.4.59

MUCHELNEY CP ST42SW - 8/225 The Priest's house 17.4.59 GV Priest's Lodging, C14 and later. Local lias stone roughly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; thatched roof with stepped coped gable to west, half hipped to east; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 4-bay south elevation. Bay 1 has 3-light chamfered mullioned windows, possibly C19, with flat heads, and square labels; bay 2 has moulded pointed arched doorway with arched label, old boarded and studded door, with covermoulds to joints; bay 3 has a 4-light full-height mullioned and transomed solar type window, with 4-centre arched lights below transome and cinquefoil cusped lights above, with quatrefoils in tracery, late C15 probably, all under square label; bay 4 has a 4-light hollow chamfered mullioned window with 4-centre arched lights having some early external ferramenta, under square label; above a small 2-light window with trefoil cusped lights and incised spandrils, possibly C14, this last cut into thatch: all windows leaded, bay 1 with rectangular panes, the remainder with diamond panes. Internally, cross passage layout, with solid walls to cross-passage; west room has small plain fireplace with chamfered and cambered timber lintol with scroll stops, and this and ceiling beams suggest C17 reshaping at this end: four-centre arched moulded doorway with wood frame to east wall of passage; centre room has adapted wave-mould fireplace, and partition against parlour part stone and part wattle and daub, including a semi-circular headed stone doorway with plain chamfer; 4 sections of a 6-panel moulded beam and panel ceiling remain, the others removed for staircase; at first floor level another wattle and daub partition over cross-passage with later door cut in. Roof frame incorporates raised crucks, except at west end. The original form and subsequent alteration of house much discussed: the house first mentioned 1308, said to be "ruinous' in 1608; it was used by the vicar or curate until c1840, when the house was used as a cellar and later as a school, and in late C19 was rented by a farmer. Acquired by the National Trust in 1911. (VCH, vol III, 1974; Panten W A, Medieval Priest's Houses in south west England, Medieval Archaeology 1957; Wood M, The English Medieval House, 1965; VAG Reports, Unpublished SRO, 1972 and 1979).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.