You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263426  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 263426
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET (east side)
  ILCHESTER, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 04 January 2006
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 28 April 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

Church of Mary Major, Church Street. 10/44 8/44 ------------------------------------ Church of Mary Major, Church Street. 10/44 8/44 ------------------------------------ ST5222 ILCHESTER CP CHURCH STREET (East street) 10/44 Church of St. Mary Major (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) 19.4.61 GV II* Anglican Parish Church; C13 and later, south aisle added 1879-80. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone ashlar and dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, ornamental clay tile ridges to nave and side aisle, plain clay tiles over stone slate base courses to chancel; flat roof to north chapel. Four-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and south aisle, and single-bay north chapel, with west tower. Chancel C13, possibly earlier; plain, rendered on south side, east window plate tracery of 3 semi-circular arched lights with quatrefoils over in chamfered semi-circular arched recess with label; south side has a C19 buttress, a 3-light flat arched hollow recessed window, and to right a simple doorway dated 1672, which may be date of all side chancel windows; to north 2 similar windows, one of 3-lights, the other 5-light with a 4-centred sub arch with quatrefoil tracery and foliage carved spandrils. North chapel has angled corner buttresses, and one to north wall, which has simple C17 and C18 doorway and a 5-light window in shallower recess with uncarved spandrils; in east wall a 3-light window in a 4-centred arched hollowed recess, which may be C15, and could represent the re-use of a nave window, as 2 similar windows exist in north wall of nave, divided by a buttress. The south aisle 1879-80; plinth, eaves course, angled corner and bay buttresses; south wall windows copies of the north wall nave windows; the east and west windows more elaborate 4-light Geometric style tracery in pointed arches with labels. Tower of 3 stages, possibly C13 throughout: corner buttresses to low first stage, which is broached at head, forming octagonal tower to upper stages; string courses, plain shallow parapet with moulded coping; west door 2 orders chamfered pointed arched, label shaved off; second stage has clockface and slim lancet on west face only; 3rd stage has slim lancets to all principal faces, fitted with wood baffles, and also a small rectangular window in north face. Inside, the porch in the under-tower space has moulded rib and panel ceiling, possibly C15, and stairs in north-east angle; inner arch also of 2 chamfered orders, with inner order on corbelled bell capitals; traces of colour decoration on outer arch; in south wall are set two C13/C14 fragments of memorial crosses. Chancel has fine rere-arch with headstop label and stiff-leaf capped sideshafts to east window, and chamfered reveals to side windows, C19 arch-braced truss roof; chancel arch probably C13, with squint on north side. Nave has C19 roof, unplastered walls, and a C13-style colonnade based relic in churchyard (q.v), and C15 panelled arch into the side chapel; pointed arched niche, and also former doorway into belfry on west wall. North chapel rendered, with C20 boarded roof but with springers for what may have been 2-bay fan vault; canopies in north-east and south-east corners, the latter with a statue recess in the south wall. Fitting include fragments of C17 dado panelling and a C17 chair in chancel; a fine octagonal timber pulpit which could be very late C16 rather than Jacobean, although the panel arches are treated in perspective; remaining work mostly C19. Fragments of medieval stained glass in chapel. Memorials include alabaster and lias stone tablet to Mary Raymond, died 1639; a lias stone plaque, nicely incised, to Eleanor Clement, died 1748, these both in chancel; and tablet to William Raymond, died 1625, by the pulpit. Traces of C13 wall painting on nave north wall now gone. The major of 2 surviving churches in the town, which had at least 8 in medieval times, it was in the patronage of Muchelney Abbey until 1239, apparently the first record. (VCH, Vol III, 1974); Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.