You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263564  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 263564
Location: THE ROSE TOWER, 440 METRES WEST OF BARWICK HOUSE,
  BARWICK, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 30 August 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST51SEBARWICK CPBARWICK PARK5/6The Rose Tower, 440 metres Westof Barwick House(formerly listed as Obelisk in

ST51SE BARWICK CP BARWICK PARK 5/6 The Rose Tower, 440 metres West of Barwick House (formerly listed as Obelisk in Barwick Park North of Church) 19.4.61 GV II Folly. Circa 1775, Local stone rubble with Ham stone ashlar. Circular podium of about 4 metres diameter and 0.6 metres high, on which stands a hollow circular drum, about 4-metres high, pierced with three pointed arches with bands of rectangular openings at about 1.25 metres intervals, the top 2-metres being in fine ashlar with a ball finial, the whole being approximately 20-metres high. The West boundary marker of the Barwick Park estate, probably erected by John Newman. The most spectacular of the four follies set on the cardinal point axes through Barwick House (qv), it features in three paintings dated between 1770 and 1780. (Barbara Jones, Follies and Grottoes, Constable 1974.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.