You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263649  

Print Page



© Mr Jason Brister

IoE Number: 263649
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL,
  EAST COKER, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Jason Brister
Date Photographed: 14 August 2003
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST5312EAST COKER CP11/91Church of Saint Michael19.4.61

ST5312 EAST COKER CP 11/91 Church of Saint Michael 19.4.61 GV II* Church. Late C12 with C15 and C19 work. Ham stone squared rubble with ashlar; fish-scale and plain clay tile roofs to nave, chancel and North Transept, stone slates to South transept and lead over aisles. A cruciform church with added side aisles and North porch; central tower unsafe and replaced in 1790 by North East corner tower; chancel 2-bays nominal, nave 3-bays plus crossing, aisles 3-bays, transepts one long bay. Chancel has offset corner buttresses, plinth and cross finial to coping; East window a C19 copy of former blocked C15 window, four-light traceried under pointed arch with pointed label; 3-light windows in 4 centred recessed arches to North and South sides. South transept simple; C15 tranceried 3-light window in pointed arch recess in South wall; a 2-light C18 window in East wall. South aisle has plinth, full height offset buttresses, plain parapet; three 3-light C15 traceried windows under pointed labels. North aisle similar, except that the parapet is crenellated; in centre bay the simple porch with moulded pointed archways. North transept projects only very slightly; the window matches that of South aisle. West end has plain moulded pointed arch doorway with C19 trancery above; C15 tranceried windows in pointed recessed arches to aisles, with label to North aisle; angled corner buttresses to aisles, nave projects slightly. Tower in 3-stages, of 1790 date; offset corner buttresses to top of second stage, octagonal stair turret on South East corner taller than rest of tower; tall plinth, string courses, simple open arcaded balustrade with small pinnacles to corners; lowest stage has small pointed East doorway and 3-light pointed window with double 'Y' tracery; second stage 2-light pointed window with 'Y' tracery on North face only; third stage similar window with baffles to East, blind window to West and on North face clock dial flanked by single-light round arched windows with baffles. Internally chancel has timber ribbed and bossed barrel vault ceiling; remainder seems C19 rebuild; wide pointed arch to crosing. Semi-circular arches with classical imposts to transepts; South transept has plaster barrel vault ceiling with stone cornice, and cill height panelling in box pews of 1790; coffer panelled C16 arch into South aisle; old heraldic glass in tracery of South window; North transept similar, without panelling and pews; the North window probably of C19 and set much lower, ribbed plaster vault with hipped end and stone cornice. The South aisle has a late C13 arcade with circular columns, pointed arches; North aisle has C15 arcade with 4-hollow piers, the entrance door probably C15 with external tracery decoration, and over is a 1690 hatchment board. C13 circular font with cable mould on modern base. Two recumbent effigies; that in South transept much damaged, but effigy of Lady Elizabeth Courtenay, died 1375 on West wall in better state. Also on the West wall the memorial tablet to T S Elliot, poet and writer, whose ashes were interred in 1965.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.