You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263893  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 263893
Location: ROWLAND'S FARM HOUSE, AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AROUND COURTYARD ON NORTH SIDE, INCLUDING WELL,
  ASHILL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 05 May 2005
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ASHILL CP-ST31NW2/14Rowland's Farm House, andattached outbuildings aroundcourtyard on north side,

ASHILL CP - ST31NW 2/14 Rowland's Farm House, and attached outbuildings around courtyard on north side, including well 4.2.58 II* Farmhouse. Late C15-early C16, remodelled in late C16, minor alterations since. Ham stone, some ashlar, some roughly cut and squared with ashlar dressings; double Roman clay tiled roof between high stepped coped gables suggesting former thatch; ashlar chimney stacks with moulded caps. 'U'-plan; 2 storeys with attics, south elevation of 5 bays. Plinth to all but last bay, eaves course, angled south-west corner buttress and bay buttresses: hollow-chamfer mullioned windows with 4-centre-arched lights and incised spandrels under flat heads with labels; the ashlar bay I has 4-light windows at both levels in chamfered recesses, with square-stop labels; to bay 2 a 4-light tall mullioned and transomed window in hollowed recess, and to bay 3 a matching window set to same height but with higher cill and no transome; to bay 5 are 4-light windows at both levels, apparently restored in C20: bay 4 has a projecting 2-storey porch with angled corner buttresses and coped gable, a 4-light window with label above; and below a 4-centre arched open roll-and wavemoulded archway without label, and inside bench seats and a chamfered inner doorway; with blocked single- light windows in returns to first floor level: dormer windows in roof over bays 2, 3 and 5. The east elevation, the closed end of courtyard, quite plain: the west main gable has a short return, and in this and the lower part of main gable are 12-light sash windows of early pattern, with thick glazing bars, the south pair having moulded hoods; the centre window at first floor level a 2-light rectangular-leaded casement under hoodmould. Rear elevation of main block to satch, with the link wing northwards to bay 1, then a small projection, presumably for stair, with simple mezzanine window; opposite the porch a 4-centre-arched doorway, with 2-light window and an attic dormer above; to bays 3 and 4 are 4-light windows set at mezzanine level, with heraldic glass, and between them a proudstanding chimney stack, then a slight projection with plain rectangular windows, the uppper barred, and in short return wing two 2-light mullioned windows and a 4-centre-arched doorway. The west elevation of the closing wing has a simple 2-light window above, and wide boarded door in heavy frame under timber lintel below, with a re-set 2-part stairlight and a casement window alongside. Interior not seen, but reported is a cross-passage and hall plan with alterations and additions mostly made before c1750. The hall has a late C16 timber screen, chamfered cambered-arched fireplace, the plastered celing has sections of a decorated plaster frieze, and above the fireplace, also in plaster, the arms of Elizabeth I, The inner room has a 6-panel ceiling, each panel originally subdivided into 4 more; the walls partly rebuilt apparently before 1750, the stairway off modern, but replacing an earlier stair. The west kitchen has a 4-panel ceiling, and nearby an adapted newel staircase, The link wing at the east end of the courtyard has deep-chamfered heals with step and runout stops, with a clumsy connection at first floor level. The wing to the north of the courtyard may represent an earlier house: the south wall, much restored, retains one early timber-framed window, and a blocked doorway into the east link wing; the north wall has two more early timber windows. The roof frame of this wing has 4 jointed cruck trusses, with some timbers smoke-blackened; there are some traces of windbraces, including one surviving fragment, and there is also a timber-framed gable end. House restored by Raywand Erith in the mid 1970s. (VAG Reports, SRO unpublished, December 1972, February 1973 and January 1980).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.