You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263894  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 263894
Location: ROWLAND'S MILL,
  ASHILL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 05 May 2005
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ASHILL CPST31NW2/16Rowland's Mill4.2.58II*

ASHILL CP ST31NW 2/16 Rowland's Mill 4.2.58 II* Water mill and mill house. Later C17. Ham stone near-ashlar with some brickwork; Welsh slate roof with tall coped gable to east, hipped to west; with heavy brick chimney stack on stone base. Two storeys with attic, south-east elevation 4 bays. String bands between floors; to bay 1 a 3-light casement below, and external iron drive-wheel above; to bay 2 are 3-light casements, formerly leaded, with attic window in gable having one light blocked set under square label; 3-light windows bay 4; casements damaged, and some covered over - they were mullioned and transomed with mostly ovolo mouldings: to lower bay 3 a boarded door in heavy frame under timber lintol, above which is a square stone plaque with moulded frame having unworked top mitres; above all windows are brickwork panels with semi-circular arched recesses under relieving arches. On west gable the hipped roof is cantilevered out on timber brackets, and under it the remains of the cast-iron water wheel, about 3 metres diameter, undershot pattern, and above a 3-light transomed and a 2-light attic window, with a small extension added north of the wheel. The east gable has a single-storey leanto, above which are 2 two-light casements with semi-circular brick panels over which incorporate either vent holes or apertures for pigeons. The north elevation has a catslide roof with 2 gables and further casement windows, all formerly leaded. Most of the machinery survives, and some may be pre-C19, but the wheel, by Edward Peace of Taunton, is part of an 1851 remodelling, at which tide parts of the gable wall appear to have been rebuilt. Interior currently not easily accessible, but reported are three domestic roods on ground floor level, one with cross-corner fireplace and another with inserted copper/wash boiler, the third had a large fireplace, with an oven now removed: on first floor two domestic roods at east end, the larger with fireplace, with stud and panel partitioning: the attic rood was formerly connected to the house, rather than the mill. A detailed report suggests that the mill may have been for occasional estate use rather than general commercial purposes, and that the miller may have had a second occupation, such as weaving. The building neglected and subjected to some vandalism, December 1985: it is of importance on account of the brickwork, early for Somerset where pre-1700 examples are rare and for the machinery which is rudimentary and appears to incorporate pre C19 elements. (VAG Reports, SRO unpublished, December 1979 and September 1982).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.