You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263898  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 263898
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  ASHILL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 09 February 2006
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 29 October 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ASHILL CPASHILL VILLAGEST31NW2/1Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary(formerly listed as Church of StMary)

ASHILL CP ASHILL VILLAGE ST31NW 2/1 Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) 4.2.58 GV II* Anglican parish church, C12 or C13, with various later alteration, Local stone rubble, with some grey lias stone, Has stone dressings; plain clay tiled roofs with coped gables, and bands of scalloped tiles to chancel. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with north and south porches and west tower, Chancel plain, with cill-high plinth, on east side; east window 3-light C15 traceried, set in hollowed recess under square-stopped arched label; north window a 2-light, probably C19, in moulded reveal; on south side two 2-light plate-tracery windows with plain arched labels, and between them a small moulded pointed-arched doorway. Nave also plain, with buttresses to corners at west end; on south side two 2-light late C15 flat-arched windows with cinquefoil cusped ogee-head lights and quatrefoil spandril under deep square labels having shield stops; one similar window west of north porch, and to east a C19 reconstruction of a C13 plate-traceried window. Simple south porch, the pointed-arched doorway almost totally blocked and a small C20 window inserted: north porch also plain, with chamfered segmental-pointed outer arch, and semi-circular arched ribbed ceiling vault; stone bench seats; the inner archway of C12 or C13, stilted segmental with chevron decoration, the side shafts octagonal on plan with one cushion and one scallop capital. The west tower in 2 stages; plinth, angled corner buttresses with offset to nearly full height, string courses, corner gargoyles to top, battlemented parapet; moulded 4-centre-arched west doorway in rectangular recess with quatrefoil panel spandrils and deep square label; above a 3-light 4-centre- arched window with simple C16 or C17 tracery set in deep hollowed recess with label over; otherwise stage one plain: to second stage are 2-light C15 traceried windows with horizontal baffles, that on the south face part blocked; additional small rectangular window below in west face: on north- east corner a rectangular plan stair turret to above tower height, crowned with weathervane dated 1867. Interior not accessible, but reported is a chancel arch with chevron decoration, altered, with two blocked recesses for side altars; inner shafts and rere-arches of Decorated period to chancel windows; cinquefoil rere-arch to north-east nave window, Fittings include an early C17 pulpit, and a C15 octagonal font. In the north wall of the nave two early C14 tomb recesses, one with the effigy of a lady of c1300, the other is of a knight of c1380. (Pevsner, N. Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958),

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.