You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263907  

Print Page



© Mr Tony Ovens

IoE Number: 263907
Location: THE OLD RECTORY, WITH BOUNDARY WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH-EAST CORNER,
  ASHILL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Tony Ovens
Date Photographed: 10 January 2003
Date listed: 29 October 1987
Date of last amendment: 29 October 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ASHILL CPASHILL VILLAGEST31NW2/10The Old Rectory, with boundarywall attached to south-east corner

ASHILL CP ASHILL VILLAGE ST31NW 2/10 The Old Rectory, with boundary wall attached to south-east corner - - II* Former rectory. Some C16 fragments; house remodelled c1800 and by Revd Mickleburgh 1833, re-roofed c1900. Local lias stone rubble, dressed quoins and Ham stone dressings; mostly plain clay tile roofs, but north crosswing has double Roman tiles, mostly with overhung gables, replacing thatch; yellow brick chimney stacks. Built on a curve, with projection to east and with north crosswing; roadside elevation 5 bays, of which bays 2 and 3 are set back. Bay 1 is the crosswing gable, with a tall pointed-arched window with 'Y'-tracing, lower part now blocked; bays 2 & 3 masked by stone wall having plain boarded doors in heavy frames, with glazed roof over yard behind; upper bay 2 has a 2-light 4-centre arched Y-traceried window with label, containing stained glass; bay 4 has a 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window, with pointed-arched light having incised spandrils, under square label, and above a small 3-light casement with small rendered gable over, both windows diamond-leaded; to bay 5 another tall 'Y'-traceried window with transome and square-stop label, diamond-leaded with thick cases to upper portion; above a gable with a stretched quatrefoil window, and to each side of this bay blind pointed arches of nearly same height. East, garden, elevation of 6 bays, of which bays 1 and 6 project: bay 1 has 4-centre-arched 'Y'-tracery windows to both levels, with quatrefoil light in gable, the corners of the wing have deep chamfers; bay 2 and 4 have similar windows below and C20 casements above set in gables; Bay 3 has a cross-traceried ogee-arched doorway with Gothic door, and 2-light mullioned window above; bay 5 has a single-storey projection with flat roof behind battlemented parapet, with arched recesses to south and east faces with C20 door in former, and in the latter a C19 circular window; bay 6 is the gable end of the crosswing, with 'Y'-traceried window and 4-centre-arched doorway to left. Inside, much work must be of the 1833 reshaping, but some is earlier; the doors have pointed arched panels; the staircase of c1800; in the lower room; of the crosswing much Gothic revival timberwork, but the ceiling appears to be late C16, 8 panelled with moulded beads having a few C19 repairs; the south-east root has convex curved outer corners and a fine Gothic decorated plasterwork ceiling. General history of building unclear, although at one stage there were 3 cottages, with a prebendary house to the north, demolished in the C19: it was re-roofed c1900 after fire destroyed the thatched Ashill Inn opposite; it was sold by the Diocese in 1958. Attached to the south-east corner of the house the south boundary wall, of late C19 in local stone ruble, with slim near-ashlar piers, about 2 metres high, and capped with cast-iron railings having ogee-arched work and barbed top points, and recessed pedestrian gate in centre, all adding to the setting of the house and the streetscene generally in the centre of the village,

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.