You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263975  

Print Page



© Mr Tony Ovens

IoE Number: 263975
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD (east off)
  ILTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Tony Ovens
Date Photographed: 29 May 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ILTON CPCHURCH ROAD (East side, off)ST31NE3/75Church of St. Peter

ILTON CP CHURCH ROAD (East side, off) ST31NE 3/75 Church of St. Peter 4.2.58 GV II* Anglican parish church. Some C12 and C13 fragments, mostly C14, restored 1860, with chancel rebuilt and north aisle chapel added by J.M. Allen. Local stone rubble, some cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, with stone slate base courses to nave, sheet lead to north aisle. Five-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, south transept, 3-bay north aisle and 2-bay north aisle chapel, with south tower incorporating porch. Chancel has plinth, eaves course and angled corner buttresses; east window a C19 3-light Geometric traceried with label; side windows are 2- light reticulated tracery, one on north and two on south side with chamfered pointed-arched doorway with label between; in south west angle with transept a low octagonal-plan extension with steeply hipped lead sheet roof and cusped lancet windows, probably C19. forth aisle chapel has plinth, corner buttresses, with a late C15 style east window having headstop label; in north wall one window to match chancel side windows, possibly a re-use from there. North aisle has tall double plinth, bay buttresses and pairs of offset buttresses to north-west corner; three C15 style 2-light windows in slightly hollowed recesses in north wall and one to west. South transept has no plinth, angled corner buttresses; a 3-light C19 traceried window with label in south gable, and,2-light to match, probably C15, in east wall. Nave visible only at west end, with plinth, pair of offset corner buttresses, with one window in south wall matching those of north aisle; in west gable a tall moulded pointed-arched doorway without label, with late C19 3-light window over set in hollowed recess under headstop label. Tower may have C12 base, now rendered; 2 stages; small angled south-east corner buttress: in south face a moulded pointed-arched doorway with headstop label, and small 2-light double-cusped lancet window over, above which is a stone sundial; on west side a single cusped lancet at low level and slim lancet above; string mould divides second stage, which has a low plain parapet, and one 2-light C15 style window with stone louvres to each face. Interior not accessible, but noted or reported are rere-arches to the chancel window and elaborately cusped rere-arches in the south transept, C15 chancel and transept arches, with north arcade to match. Fittings include an ogee-arched piscina resting on a head corbel, plain C17 pulpit, font probably C19; in north aisle several glazed tiles of c1540. Memorials include the defaced alabster effigy of a lady, of c1475, and a brass to Nicholas Wadham, died 1508, with effigy in shroud, and plaque to Jane, Lady Wadham, died 1557. South west nave window has engraved glass by Lawrence Whistler. First recorded vicar 1221. An 1822 report speaks of wooden spire to tower, and, probably erroneously, of two aisles. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; Greenwood C & J, Somerset Delineated, 1822).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.