You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264371  

Print Page

© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 264371
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE (east side)
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 06 March 2003
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


ST41NW KINGSBURY EPISCOPI CP CHURCH LANE (East side) EAST LAMBROOK 6/116 Church of St. James 17.4.59 GV lI+ Anglican church: C12, C13, C15, C18; C19 restoration. Coursed and squared rubble, slate roofs, stone tiles to eaves, coped verges, finials, C19 double-gabled bell-turret. Nave, chancel, small west porch. Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. Three bay nave, to south a cusped 2-light square-head window with a label, a hollow-moulded mullioned and transomed window, and a small opening set under the eaves, also square-headed. Evidence of a blocked former south doorway. On north side a chamfered 3-light mullioned window; doorway to a west gallery set high up, plank door, reached by flight of 11 external stone steps, simple wrought-iron handrail. West end with a single and a 2-light window, simple style, Small but elaborate C19 ashlar porch, diagonal buttresses, pedimented gable, chamfered 3-centred arch inner doorway. Small low single-bay chancel, 2-light square-headed windows to north and south with cusping. Three-light east window of c1300 with cusping, intersecting tracery. Interior in simple style, plastered with flagstone floors, Chancel arch of c1190 on scallop corbels. Piscina with ogee head, probably C14. East window with a rere-arch. Two unusual wooden corbels projecting from wall halfway along north and south sides of nave, carved as grotesque heads. Octagonal Perpendicular-type font, probably recut. Pulpit made up of reused Jacobean panels. Very fine C18 west gallery on cast-iron columns, moulded cornice, central baluster panel. Late C18/early C19 box pews. Large C18 painting of Royal Arms. C18 charity plaque in chancel. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, I958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.