© Mr Michael Perry
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW,
PUCKINGTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
04 February 2003
17 April 1959
Date of last amendment:
17 April 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST31NE PUCKINGTON CP
5/1 Church of St Andrew
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, major C19 restoration. Rubble, some coursed and squared, some random, freestone
dressings, tile roofs with fishscale banding, coped verges, cruciform finials. Early English and Perpendicular,
restoration in a neo-Eirly English style. Nave, chancel, large mid C19 south transept, south porch, small lean-to north
vestry, west tower. Embattled 3- stage tower, set-back buttresses, pinnacles on the corners of the battlements, large
gargoyles, broad 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, large clockface with gilded numerals and hands to the east.
Blank quatrefoils on each face below the parapet, blank 2-light windows to ringing chamber stage; stair-turret to
north. Large 4-light transomed west window with labels, fine- cut tracery; west doorway in an emphasised moulded
surround, flanking triangular shafts. Two bay nave, 2-light Perpendicular windows to the north, 2 low buttresses.
Single bay transept with triple lancet windows, low buttresses. Small porch with a front-facing gable, buttresses,
Perpendicular inner and outer doorways. Two bay chancel, 2 and 3-light windows with Decorated tracery, mostly renewed;
priest's door to south, and let into the wall 2 C18 memorials. Interior mostly plastered, some scraping to chancel.
Lofty panelled Perpendicular tower arch. Simple double-chamfered arches to transept and chancel. Tower with panelled
ringing-chamber floor; nave and transept with simple braced collar- beam roofs; chancel under panelled wagon roof.
Chancel windows with rere-arches. Chancel with C13 stepped group of piscina and sedilia with continuous mouldings.
Norman tub font with cable banding, C19 cover with fine wrought-iron decoration. Some Jacobean woodwork including
restored pulpit, fragments of carving incorporated in C19 reader and choir stalls, a chair and a chest. High Gothic
decalogue plaques, altar rails, altar, and a chair. Simple pine pews, Two C17 memorials to chancel. Memorial to the
Great War. Windows with simple diamond-paned leaded lights, clear glass.