You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264761  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 264761
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN,
  ELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 27 April 2006
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST03SEELWORTHY CP8/4Church of St Martin22.5.69

ST03SE ELWORTHY CP 8/4 Church of St Martin 22.5.69 GV II* Parish church, now redundant. C13 tower, porch and nave roof late C15, chancel rebuilt 1695 and again in 1846 when nave restored and organ chamber added, church declared redundant 1979. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3 bay nave, South organ chamber, chancel and rood loft stair projection. Lower 2-stage crenellated tower, unbuttressed, 2 square bell openings, lancet, entrance at first floor level by flight of steps on South side, wooden chamfered 4 centred arch doorcase with renewed studded plank door. Buttressed, single storey, gabled porch, moulded arched entrance, split at apex and subsiding, chamfered arched inner doorway, C19 door; lancet to right in nave, South front two 2-light windows, another 2-light to organ chamber projection, 3-light East window, chancel with diagonal buttresses, rood loft stair projection at junction with nave North face, 2-light window to left of porch. Interior: rendered. C19 pointed chancel arch, similar to organ chamber, unmoulded round tower arch. C19 barrel vault to chancel, late C15 ribbed plaster barrel vault to nave. Mid C17 alabaster font, Jacobean pulpit, late C17 turned baluster altar rails and table, some C17 stained glass in window, C19 screen incorporating frieze: "0 lord Prepare Our Arts to Praye Anno 1632" and some C17 tracery. C16 bench ends attached to choir stalls. Slate tomb slab in nave to Mary Green died January 19th, 1718/l9. (VCH Somerset, vol 5, forthcoming; Photographs in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.