You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265043  

Print Page



© Mr Kees Ter Braak

IoE Number: 265043
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER,
  WILLITON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Kees Ter Braak
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST0740WILLITON CP10/273Church of St Peter22.5.69

ST0740 WILLITON CP 10/273 Church of St Peter 22.5.69 GV II* Parish church. Medieval chapel rebuilt, early C16 windows reset in South aisle added 1810, rest rebuilt 1856-9, bell-cote added 1896. Mid C19 work by C E Giles. Squared red sandstone rubble, uncoursed, quoins, Bath stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West porch, bell-cote West end, 4 bay nave, North aisle, North East vestry, South aisle, South East chapel, chancel. Stone gabled bell-cote centre of 3 gables on West end, central stepped buttress flanked by lancets above single storey gabled porch with kneelers, chamfered plinth, pointed arch inner doorway, ribbed door, Medieval iron work. Left C19 2-Light window, right 2-light cinquefoil-headed hollow chamfered mullioned window under square hood mould, 3 similar on South front, C19 arched windows to chapel, another C16 mullioned window South side of chancel, 3-light East window, fisheye window in gable end of vestry, 3-light shouldered mullioned window below, North front cinquefoil-headed door and 2-light window to vestry, large stepped buttress at junction with aisle linked to similar at West end by projecting plinth forming seat, two 2-light windows left and one right of gabled North porch carried on deep curved brackets with larger ovolo moulded plinth, all with chamfered corners, double gate, pointed arched plank inner door. Interior: rendered. Mid C19 roofs arch braced nave, scissor truss aisles, barrel vaulted chancel, and chancel arch with decorative capitals. Circular piers without bases in South aisle, others C19. Font, alabaster dated 1666. Lectern, 3 bays of cinquefoil-headed tracery perhaps from the rood screen removed in 1856. Poor Box dated 1680. Early C17 chest. Altar table in South aisle probably C17. This was a chapel of ease and did not become a parish church until the C18. (Buckler drawing of earlier church in Local History Library, Taunton; Armstrong, The Parish of St Peter Williton, 1982).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.