You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265121  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 265121
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  EAST QUANTOXHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 20 September 2005
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST1343EAST QUANTOXHEAD CP13/75Church of Saint Mary22.5.69

ST1343 EAST QUANTOXHEAD CP 13/75 Church of Saint Mary 22.5.69 GV II* Parish Church. C14, refenestrated early C15, restored and redecorated 1698, vestry added, chancel partly rebuilt and church restored 1860. Blue lias random rubble, sandstone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. 2 bay nave, chancel, North East vestry, South porch, West tower. 3 stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell openings, tiny lancet below string course, 3-light West window, square crenellated stair turret North West corner. South front 2-light windows flanking porch with 2-light octagonal chamfered aullioned window set below eaves right, gabled porch, chamfered arched opening, holy water stoop and lancet on East wall, chamfered 4 centred arch door, chancel 2-light mullioned window with hood mould and 2-light arched window flanking priest's door with scratch dial to right, 3-light East window, 2-light window under East wall of vestry, North front of nave two 2-light windows. Interior: unplastered. C19 arch braced chancel roof, ribbed and plastered barrel vault to nave. C19 pointed chancel arch, 4 centred arch doorway to vestry in reset plank and muntin screen; vestry on site of earlier chancel aisle. Tower arch moulded in 2 orders with ogee headed stair turret door. Blocked 4 centred arch door to rood loft, blocked rood loft, opening above and another blocked door centre North nave wall. Rood screen day be C14 in part, restored C19. originally had large loft, fine set early C16 bench ends, pulpit dated 1633, Jacobean newel turned alter rails, canopy tomb North wall of chancel to Hugh Luttrell, died 1522 and his son Andrew, died 1538. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory 1902; VCH Somerset Vol S forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.