You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265170  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 265170
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, SEA LANE (west side)
  KILVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 28 April 2006
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST14SWKILVE CPSEA LANE (West side)5/121Church of Saint Mary22.5.69

ST14SW KILVE CP SEA LANE (West side) 5/121 Church of Saint Mary 22.5.69 GV II* Parish church C14, rest C15, though tower might be 1636, vestry 1876, church restored 1913. B1ue lias random rubble, slate roofs, coped verges. Tall C19 stack to left of porch (blocked internally). 2 bay nave, one bay gabled projection South East corner, chancel, vestry, South porch, West tower. Short 2 stage crenellated tower, diagonal stepped buttresses rising to string course, lancet window South front, squared louvred bell opening, eroded 2-light hollow chamfered mullioned West window, remains of square hood mould, inset plaque above '16-- WS AS ; stair turret North East corner. South front small 2-light cinqufoil headed mullioned window, renewed C19, set just below eaves to left of gabled porch, chamfered arched opening, chamfered 4- centred arch doorway, C19 door; to right 2-light mullioned window under hood mould abutting gabled projection with arched 2-light window, string course below; chancel 2-light cinquefoil ogee leaded mullioned window to left of ogee leaded priests door, 3-light East window, East door to vestry, North front C19 4-light chamfered mullioned window, two 2-light cinquefoil headed mullioned windows under hood mantels with reset medieval carved faces as terminal bosses. Interior: rendered, C15 ribbed and plastered barrel vault to chancel, nave roof partially renewed C19 with original wall plate and bosses, C14 chancel arch, steeply chamfered arch with inset chamfered arch between chancel and vestry, latter added in memory of William Greswell on site of earlier building formerly linked to chancel by arcade. Tower arch early C20. Pulpit lit by gabled projection blocked below with ogee headed blocked niche on East side in rear arch of adjoining window. Remains of one bay of screen in tower; alter rails early C18 baluster type; C12 font, cable moulded base; Royal Coat of Arms 1660, restoredi fine slate memorial stone to John Cunditt, died 1690 set in marble aediante on South wall; wooden wall tablet to Cunditt sisters Dorothy and Elizabeth, died 1723 and 1739. Chancel originally longer, containing choir for chantry priests who lived to the North in the buildings now known as Priory Cottage, Chantry Cottage and The Chantry (qv). Until 1636 the bells were housed in a separate thatched structure, but it seems unlikely that all the tower is as late as this would suggest. (Photograph in NMR; VCH Somerset, Vol 5 forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.